Monthly Recognition

Would be interesting to have the option of monthly, or rolling 4 weeks. That way when someone drops from the list they have to lift their game to take back the lead

And those who post regularly but who aren't shooting stars (so to speak) might just say screw it and go somewhere else. It's a delicate balance, IMO. I understand wanting to recognize the biggest contributors, but contribution isn't always quantifiable. And it isn't always a matter of volume, either.

I'll be interested to see how this works out for y'all.

And those who post regularly but who aren't shooting stars (so to speak) might just say screw it and go somewhere else. It's a delicate balance, IMO. I understand wanting to recognize the biggest contributors, but contribution isn't always quantifiable. And it isn't always a matter of volume, either.

Those who post regularly are unlikely to be phased about being on the most active list.

Presumably you could set the schedule of the cron job to run at whatever frequency you choose. If you only want it once a month, run it on the 1st.

I understand where you are coming from but why would visitors say screw it? The main reason they are visiting should be because of the content so the monthly recognition is just a bonus.

I like this suggestion, usually when I've implemented something like this in the past, posting has gone up. Forum users love a bit of recognition.

I understand where you are coming from but why would visitors say screw it? The main reason they are visiting should be because of the content so the monthly recognition is just a bonus.

Not visitors - new people on the forum. I mean the goal still is to get new members who post, right? Or has it shifted entirely to just, people to read your content?

Not visitors - new people on the forum. I mean the goal still is to get new members who post, right? Or has it shifted entirely to just, people to read your content?

Yes, the goal is to get new members to post and getting recognized for their efforts is the added incentive for doing so. That's just my suggestion and it appears many here agree. Since it's not a total/final count, any member has a chance. A pat on the back is better than none at all.

Yes, the goal is to get new members to post and getting recognized for their efforts is the added incentive for doing so. That's just my suggestion and it appears many here agree. Since it's not a total/final count, any member has a chance. A pat on the back is better than none at all.

Alrighty. :)

I don't think anyone with a large/active forum would +1 this. This just encourages cliques + an elitist attitude, and discourages new members. You are encouraging members to be in the top 10 or forever be beaten down by those that have more posts / more time / more answers (rather than questions) than 99% of the rest of the forum... there are more 'middle of the road' people looking for a place to belong than elitist and suckups striving to be a mod. Why limit yourself to those that think they are better than the rest (they are the only member that will do anything to 'place' in to top slots week after week).

+1 for trophies
-1 for alienating 99% of members in favor of making the inevitable 1% (usually mouthy jobless types) a supastar (in their own mind) who validate their lives through forums.

Familiarity breeds contempt!

Very bad idea IMO.

I am warming up to this idea where a unique member or two is showing featured as a reward for their contributions to the site, on the frontpage, once a month or so.

I don't think anyone with a large/active forum would +1 this. This just encourages cliques + an elitist attitude, and discourages new members. You are encouraging members to be in the top 10 or forever be beaten down by those that have more posts / more time / more answers (rather than questions) than 99% of the rest of the forum... there are more 'middle of the road' people looking for a place to belong than elitist and suckups striving to be a mod. Why limit yourself to those that think they are better than the rest (they are the only member that will do anything to 'place' in to top slots week after week).

+1 for trophies
-1 for alienating 99% of members in favor of making the inevitable 1% (usually mouthy jobless types) a supastar (in their own mind) who validate their lives through forums.

Familiarity breeds contempt!

Very bad idea IMO.

You may be confusing this with TOTAL count to beat and contests. This is for recognition and if anything, admin should have override power if need be.

Example: Person A (employee?) gets a raise for 10 years of service. Person B (summer intern?) gets recognized for a job well done last month.

What does everyone think about an option so that if a member gains recognition, that same member won't be eligible until the next quarter (4Q=one year)?

I like both of your suggestion to the monthly recognition and it's important for a community.

Do you know if it will be included when xenforo is officially released?

"Member of the week" would be cool. Personally for our site I think a month is a bit too long but something weekly would work well. Picking on number of likes, trophies, etc sounds like it would work well.

"Member of the week" would be cool. Personally for our site I think a month is a bit too long but something weekly would work well. Picking on number of likes, trophies, etc sounds like it would work well.

Maybe it can be added as an option to the monthly.

Maybe it can be added as an option to the monthly.

I think it's as easy as inputting the number of days to adjust what each site need for recognition. Hopefully it'll be considered by the person that creates this kind of mod.

I want to use xenforo but will need some type of user recognition. Since it doesn't look like this will be included, is there anything close to this that is built in?

Top Bottom