1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monthly Recognition

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Peter, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Peter

Peter Active Member

Recognize x number of members each month on the front page using numbers from either like, trophy, points, activity, etc. etc. It'll encourage contribution.
    Alien, CallieJo, Veer and 21 others like this.
  2. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Well-Known Member

I'm kinda diggin' this idea. This would be a nice way to automatically recognize members and keep them posting and active! :)
  3. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Definitely a good idea. Activity rates go up, participation goes up.
  4. Peter

Peter Active Member

Hopefully the suggestion will be accepted.

Exactly. Who doesn't like active participation? ;-)
  5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I like this far better than displaying the overall standings of people.

And if it were implemented I could think of a few things that might be more easily achievable with a modification.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Grover likes this.
  7. James

James Well-Known Member

I plan on implementing quite a few of these social features into my forum. +1 for this idea.
  8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

9. Brogan

Once the template and code is set up, it should be easy to switch the criteria such as random, time based activity, etc.

I just posted my link as I think that 99% of the work required on both of these suggestions will be identical and it will just be a template edit to switch between the 2 types of block.
  10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Forums, in general, remove all concepts of time period. Posts can be separated by short or long periods of time. Besides the 28 day thread marking timeout I am unaware of any time based information kept track of. As opposed to the awstats my hosting provider gives me where I can see activity vs time.

I do understand that in many respects the random people listed idea you have (and also agree with) is similar.
  11. Peter

Peter Active Member

12. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

You mean like 'monthly high scores' for the forum?

If so, we have seen several similar suggestions and I'm opposed to them because I do not believe making it a 'contest' will improve the forum or the happiness of members.

If you mean 'random recognition' I would say it's a nice add-on, but not needed by default.
  13. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

I am all for functionality that encourages/stimulate social (inter)activity (vBulletin -which my site is powered by now- does a very bad job at this).

So, supported.
  14. Brogan

The overall template will be identical.

The only defining difference will be the criteria by which it is populated.

So it will just be a matter of editing the algorithm/code by which members are chosen.
  15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

In theory it could be trophys or likes per month, or even posts - all sorted by username. That might be good to know, even if it was not displayed.
  16. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to have the option of monthly, or rolling 4 weeks. That way when someone drops from the list they have to lift their game to take back the lead
  17. Peter

Peter Active Member

Forgive me. How would rolling 4 weeks work?
  18. projectego

projectego Active Member

Superb idea. I'm all for rewarding the community and helping to promote activity. I would certainly love to do more with the trophy system, especially.
  19. Moses

Moses Well-Known Member

A query is scheduled to run against the database to determine the most active users in the previous 28 days. These users go on the leaderboard.
    The query could be scheduled at midnight, hourly, or even every 5 minutes if you were that way inclined.

So, who was the most active between 9:35am on the 2nd September and 9:35 on the 30th September?
    then run it again at 9:40..
  20. James

James Well-Known Member

I like the idea of only having one query ran per month rather than auto-updating statistics.