Monthly Recognition

I'm kinda diggin' this idea. This would be a nice way to automatically recognize members and keep them posting and active! :)

I like this far better than displaying the overall standings of people.

And if it were implemented I could think of a few things that might be more easily achievable with a modification.

This idea is in reference to activity vs time period. I can think of a couple of things that would help me in that regard.
Once the template and code is set up, it should be easy to switch the criteria such as random, time based activity, etc.

I just posted my link as I think that 99% of the work required on both of these suggestions will be identical and it will just be a template edit to switch between the 2 types of block.

Once the template and code is set up, it should be easy to switch the criteria such as random, time based activity, etc.

I just posted my link as I think that 99% of the work required on both of these suggestions will be identical and it will just be a template edit to switch between the 2 types of block.
Forums, in general, remove all concepts of time period. Posts can be separated by short or long periods of time. Besides the 28 day thread marking timeout I am unaware of any time based information kept track of. As opposed to the awstats my hosting provider gives me where I can see activity vs time.

I do understand that in many respects the random people listed idea you have (and also agree with) is similar.

You mean like 'monthly high scores' for the forum?

If so, we have seen several similar suggestions and I'm opposed to them because I do not believe making it a 'contest' will improve the forum or the happiness of members.

If you mean 'random recognition' I would say it's a nice add-on, but not needed by default.

I am all for functionality that encourages/stimulate social (inter)activity (vBulletin -which my site is powered by now- does a very bad job at this).

So, supported.

Sorry, I can't see how it is similar. My suggestion is targeted while your suggestion is random.
The overall template will be identical.

The only defining difference will be the criteria by which it is populated.

So it will just be a matter of editing the algorithm/code by which members are chosen.

Would be interesting to have the option of monthly, or rolling 4 weeks. That way when someone drops from the list they have to lift their game to take back the lead

Superb idea. I'm all for rewarding the community and helping to promote activity. I would certainly love to do more with the trophy system, especially.

Forgive me. How would rolling 4 weeks work?
A query is scheduled to run against the database to determine the most active users in the previous 28 days. These users go on the leaderboard.
The query could be scheduled at midnight, hourly, or even every 5 minutes if you were that way inclined.

So, who was the most active between 9:35am on the 2nd September and 9:35 on the 30th September?
then run it again at 9:40..

Top Bottom