Monitor Recommendations

Still have my 2 Dell 27" in the office.
Had those for something like 8-10 years now.

Recently bought a Samsung 34" S50GC 2440 x 1440 and a Lenovo Yoga 16" for the studio upstairs.

I can get 3 windows side by side at a push on the Samsung, but typically use 2 and the laptop, or just 1 if running the DAW.

20231101_160028.jpg

Nice looking study.

In my own study i have my art stuff including a desktop easal along with all of my water coloured pencils and other drawing utensils.
I am currently on a Mac that i bought back in 2015.
It sits on an old desk that i had growing up as a kid.
It's over 40 years old.

I used to have Windows based computers but i was sold a lemon one time so i decided to go with a mac and never looked back.

This is what my desktop used to look like around 5 years ago. 3x Dell 27" 2560x1440 monitors. The old wide-bezel Dell on the right has since been moved to another computer and replaced by a newer model Dell.

S6_2018-07-03 08.48.42.webp

I like being able to have 6 virtual 1280x1440 screens using window snapping, although 1280 is not quite wide enough these days when some websites assume you'll have a minimum width of 1920.

A couple of months ago I bought some Presonus Eris E5 XT 5" studio monitor speakers to replace the ageing Yamaha YST PC speakers in the photo above. The 5" Eris speakers are a lot larger than I had anticipated (I didn't pay close enough attention to the specs!) and so without somewhere to mount them yet, I've had to separate my monitors so the sound isn't muffled by them. Not ideal - but I'm loving the sound!

S20_2023-08-29 11.26.44.webp

Unfortunately there's a large window behind my desk, so I can't mount the speakers on the wall, and it's a height adjustable desk, so I'd be better to mount the speakers to the desk anyway.

There are some really good ultra-wide screen curved monitors out there now if you prefer the single-screen aesthetic, but I do like my 7680x1440 screen resolution from the 3x 27" Dells - and it's probably cheaper buying 3x Dells than 1x Ultra-wide screen monitor anyway.

The other factor to consider is that as you get older, higher resolution isn't always better - being able to squeeze more text into a certain area doesn't work so well as your eyes start to deterioriate! No point having an ultra-high resolution monitor if you need to zoom in to be able to read the text.

being able to squeeze more text into a certain area doesn't work so well as your eyes start to deterioriate! No point having an ultra-high resolution monitor if you need to zoom in to be able to read the text.
Windows scaling FTW :D Combine that with browser zoom and you can mix and match readability and windows work space area across larger resolution monitors i.e. 4K

I only have room on my desk for a single monitor, so it's an LG 21:9 34" UltraWide. Many years ago, I used to have two CRTs on my main computer at home, so this UltraWide is as wide as it's gonna get right now.

I actually thought about removing the storage hutch from the top of the desk and putting a large 4K monitor on the wall behind the desk. But I would have no room for the KEF LS50s I use for my desktop system...

Some follow-up

I always used EIZO monitors they have a monitor software, which changes the display color mode depending which program I use. For VLC and the brave browser (used for youtube exclusively) I use the MOVIE color mode, for browsers the PAPER color mode. Helps to keep brigthness to a minimum while doing office work and keeps videos brilliant.

I am far away in the jungle this year. So buying an EIZO is ridiculous here.

Got a pretty cheap BENQ GW2780 27 inch FHD for around $100 USD which is amazing for its price, attached it to a super-cheap $30 USD monitor-arm (they work but are horrible compared to Ergotron LX). I attach my notebook to the TB4 dock and now I have the monitor and cherry keyboard/mouse attached. The setup is amazing. For the price.

But I miss the automatic color mode changes when I watch a movie etc. Anyone using a DDC/CI software that works and is not manufacture-locked-in? Even BENQ provides monitor software, but only for higher priced models. I never had this problem for EIZO as they are so expensive they do not have cheaper lines where they block their software to be compatible with them.

Top Bottom