Moderator post editing optional reason

Martok

Following the fixing of the bug in this thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-posts-adds-last-edited-by-a-moderator.52401/

I am assuming that if a moderator edits a post, there is no indication that it has been edited, unlike when a user edits their own posts?

If this is the case, I'd like to propose an option where a moderator could include a reason for editing a post and when they do this the name of the moderator, the date and the reason are then all displayed at the bottom of the post in smaller text. If no reason is included then no indication of editing would be displayed.

This is something that can be done in phpBB. I found it useful at times to let a user know why their post had been edited, whereas at other times there was no need to (such as correcting a post where BBcode tags hadn't been correctly used or a editing a URL because it was broken).

Of course this can be done manually now by typing into the bottom of a post why it was edited, who edited it and when, then styling the text to a smaller size. I just thought it would be nice to have an option for this built-in that did most of this automatically.

Upvote 88
That bug wasn't about it showing when a moderator edits a post, but about approving a post cause an edit to record / appear. I can see the reason for a reason, but personally, I don't think it's that important for anyone but the post author, and their are plenty of other ways to give them one. (y)

That bug wasn't about it showing when a moderator edits a post, but about approving a post cause an edit to record / appear. I can see the reason for a reason, but personally, I don't think it's that important for anyone but the post author, and their are plenty of other ways to give them one. (y)

For the purpose of transparency in moderation, we find sharing the reason with the rest of the members very useful.

I'm bummed this hasn't been implemented yet. If you're editing a post from 3 years ago you can't really post a reply to the thread with a reason and expect people to see it. And editing the post as a moderator and injecting some text just seems confusing to the people reading it. They don't always understand that someone other than the author wrote some of that text. I'd say a "reason edited" would go nicely right where it says "edited by" in the post.

Liked. Missing this big time. We have it for thread moves etc why not for simple edits? We had the option to send message to member by email, conversation or both & to show or not the reason for edit on the post with our old platform.

Liked. Missing this big time. We have it for thread moves etc why not for simple edits? We had the option to send message to member by email, conversation or both & to show or not the reason for edit on the post with our old platform.
In XenForo 1.5 you can notify the author of a post/profile post of your reason for editing.

XF 1.5 - Welcome to XenForo 1.5 / Assorted Improvements

However, this is an alert that will only go to the post author, it won't appear in the post itself.

Thanks for the heads-up on that Martok. Hopefully we'll be able to run on that version once it's on public release & our add-ons tested.

That's much better even if no option to show message below post.

Hello,

Please .... this is a "must have". Give us this feature for 1.5 :p
It won't come in 1.5 as that's now feature-locked. Maybe we'll see it in 2.0.

Please like the first post to show you agree with this suggestion, it's one of the factors that the devs take into consideration.

K´plah, Martok.

Are there any good news in the meantime, that this will be included in xf before 2.0 as it seems to be still a long, long way to go.

Top Bottom