Moderator post editing optional reason

Martok

Following the fixing of the bug in this thread:

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-posts-adds-last-edited-by-a-moderator.52401/

I am assuming that if a moderator edits a post, there is no indication that it has been edited, unlike when a user edits their own posts?

If this is the case, I'd like to propose an option where a moderator could include a reason for editing a post and when they do this the name of the moderator, the date and the reason are then all displayed at the bottom of the post in smaller text. If no reason is included then no indication of editing would be displayed.

This is something that can be done in phpBB. I found it useful at times to let a user know why their post had been edited, whereas at other times there was no need to (such as correcting a post where BBcode tags hadn't been correctly used or a editing a URL because it was broken).

Of course this can be done manually now by typing into the bottom of a post why it was edited, who edited it and when, then styling the text to a smaller size. I just thought it would be nice to have an option for this built-in that did most of this automatically.

Upvote 88
Liked. As per my post here, I'd like the default message to be changed from "Last edited by a moderator" to "Last edited by {moderator.user_name}". This could easily be done with Martok's suggestion.

I'm curious as to why this particular functionality suggestion has not been implemented yet!?!
It would be a nice addition = Thanks for the consideration = Liked 1st post.

J.

Problem:

I am assuming that if a moderator edits a post, there is no indication that it has been edited, unlike when a user edits their own posts?
This is something that can be done in phpBB. I found it useful at times to let a user know why their post had been edited.
Comment:
I'm curious as to why this particular functionality suggestion has not been implemented yet!?!
DITO

Solving:
Liked. As per my post here, I'd like the default message to be changed from "Last edited by a moderator" to "Last edited by {moderator.user_name}". This could easily be done with Martok's suggestion.
The "message" template has this condition:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$message.user_id} == {$message.last_edit_user_id}">
                {xen:phrase last_edited}: <xen:datetime time="{$message.last_edit_date}" />
            <xen:else />
                {xen:phrase last_edited_by_moderator}: <xen:datetime time="{$message.last_edit_date}" />
            </xen:if>

I'd like to change the last_edited_by_moderator to give the name of the moderator who edited the post. I see that the condition checks the user_id of the message vs that of the last person to edit it, and uses this to determine that it was a moderator who edited the message. It therefore follows that if I can turn the user_id into the user_name, then I can get the name of the person who last edited the post, into the post.

However, I'm not sure how to do this (I'm relatively new to xenforo). Can anyone help?

Last edited:
This suggestion is really old, though it would still be nice to see this implemented.

It isn't necessary in many cases (normal users most likely won't give a reason), but in some cases like FAQ-type threads that do get regular updates it could be useful to have this feature.

Last edited:
Yes I would like to be able to tell my users why their post was edited.
it would seem to be an easy option to add.
Why have XF not implemented it?
Have they ever given a reason?

Would love to have it. Not only can it be instructive to the individual who created the post, but others reading it as well. "Edited because we don't want you to do that!"

Top Bottom