1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Moderator can share a clickable link in conversation

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by tommydamic68, Mar 7, 2014.

1. tommydamic68

tommydamic68 Well-Known Member

Is there permission to allow moderators to share a clickable link in a conversation?

Thanks.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

In what sense?

Links can be posted in conversations, yes.

3. tommydamic68

Not sure, one of my moderators will send me a link to a thread for whatever reason for me to look at and its not clickable - on her end I guess? I can't click that link she sent me.

Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 5.44.13 AM.png

4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Lengthy URLs are shortened - notice the .... in the text between the beginning part of the URL and the end part?

I think they've literally copy and pasted that, rather than the link itself.

e.g. here's a long link
    http://xenmediagallery.com/threads/...ally-really-really-long.1069/page-2#post-5912

I think it's just unfortunate the positioning of the ellipsis in the URL text. When that is copied it breaks the URL. In some cases the URL might not break and stay valid.

Anyway, the safest way to copy and paste a link is to right click the link and select "Copy Link Address" from the menu.

When a valid URL is pasted into any content it should be automatically linked.

Amaury likes this.
  5. tommydamic68

I see what your saying @Chris D - where is she getting that long link from? Here is the actual thread link when on that page - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/waiting-for-kittens.26405/

6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

She has possibly copy and pasted it from a post elsewhere in the forum that links to the same thread.

Or it might be that she pasted the full link correctly, then accidentally copy and pasted the truncated URL text instead of the actual URL when subsequently editing it.

tommydamic68 likes this.