• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Moderator Banning?

nrep

I can't figure out if I'm just daft and I can't see the option, or if it doesn't exist?

Is there a way for a moderator to ban a user without having admin panel access? They can ban members using the spam cleaner, but sometimes there is a need to manually ban for whatever reason. Is this possible, without using the warning system?

ibrian

This is something that would be useful to have in the default install. No point having moderators is they can't ban spambots immediately. :)

ibrian

It would still be nice for Supermoderators to have the option to ban human spammers. We have forum members from across Asia so I can't simply block these countries. :)

At the moment it looks as though I'll have to individually make each one of my supermods an admin, with restrictions to admin features.

ibrian

True, but isn't it simpler to just allow the same "ban" option outright? :)

I'm really surprised at how limited Super Moderators are in xenforo. That's merely feedback.

Martok

True, but isn't it simpler to just allow the same "ban" option outright? :)
Isn't it just simpler to give them admin access with the ability to ban if you really want that?

Banning members really is an admin ability, not a moderator ability. XenForo isn't the only software that works this way, it was the same on phpBB when I was using it. I'm sure others work this way too.

ibrian

Isn't it just simpler to give them admin access with the ability to ban if you really want that?
Well, not really, because then I have to configure admin permissions for each individual supermoderator. As we're a big board, that's far more time consuming than simply having an able "supermoderator" usergroup. :)

And if supermoderators can already ban through the infraction system, why not simplify the user experience by already having a direct ban link? :)

I don't want to appear whingey - xenforo is a great system - but there are instances where some features *may* benefit from being simplified from the user end. Especially when dealing with bigger forums, most of whom I seem to have followed from vb to XF.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Banning is an administrator function only.

You can set up a warning action for moderators which will implement a ban.

Martok

This is not good. Sometimes mods need to step and and ban someone immediately if they do something egregious.
As Brogan has said, you can set up a warning action for moderators to use which will implement a ban. I have one set up for my moderators to use. I also have another one which allows them to temporarily put someone into moderation for all posts.