Lack of interest Moderation Tools

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Justin.S

Hi there,

I am currently shopping around for forum software. I really like the look and user experience of Xenforo but I feel you are lacking some flexibility in the moderation area; in particular the warning system.

On my forum I would like to establish 3 levels within my Forum Management Team. At the bottom would be User Support Officers, followed by Moderator (Super Moderators), and then Admins. Each level would have their own ways of dealing with disruptive users and issuing warnings.

I would like to be able to restrict the types of warning each user-group is allowed to give and define a strict points threshold in the chain of command.

Just so you have a better idea of how I would like to set up my FMT here is what I invision:

User Support Officers: Would essentially be nothing more than a slightly more senior member. The majority of warnings they will issue will carry no point value and are more of a "heads up". They cannot merge threads or edit user posts as they are there to act mainly as user support. They will answer day to day questions from members, give advise, and guide new members. They can also issue public warnings. The most sever action they can take is to place a user on a 24 hour moderated status and notify the MOD. They cannot approve posts and they cannot see or respond to reports.

Moderators: Will have all the same tools as the USO. They take care of the day to day forum management. They can merge threads as well as edit and approve user posts. They can see and respond to reports. However they cannot directly or permanently ban users. A single MOD is limited to issuing users half the needed points to give them a 14 day ban. They can also place users on a moderated status of up to 7 days. They are not given access to the Admin CP.

Admins: Is the highest level of the FMT. Essentially they have the power to deal with issues however they see fit and are not restricted by a threshold.

I am also wondering if I can restrict items within the Admin CP to specific Admins?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think most of your requests about moderators are already present in the software under:

Admin panel > Users > Moderators

I don't think it's as specific as to what you can limit by days or warning points etc but most things like limiting moderators so they can't move posts are present as far as I know.

I think most of your requests about moderators are already present in the software under:

Admin panel > Users > Moderators

I don't think it's as specific as to what you can limit by days or warning points etc but most things like limiting moderators so they can't move posts are present as far as I know.

I've been there and done that already. You are right it is not as specific as I would like it to be. You cannot restrict the types of warnings given. Once a user-group has been given access to warnings they will be able to issue all the types of warnings listed.

Maybe it's because I tend to take a more liberal approach with my administration style, but I think if you can trust a group of people enough to issue warnings there's no reason to restrict the waning types they can give, except possibly whether or not they can issue custom warnings. You can create editable warnings that allow the moderator in question to record a 0 point warning. If your mods are abusing your rules then take away their modship.

I've been there and done that already. You are right it is not as specific as I would like it to be. You cannot restrict the types of warnings given. Once a user-group has been given access to warnings they will be able to issue all the types of warnings listed.

It's not a huge issue for me personally but I do agree it would be nice to limit such controls.

Maybe it's because I tend to take a more liberal approach with my administration style, but I think if you can trust a group of people enough to issue warnings there's no reason to restrict the waning types they can give, except possibly whether or not they can issue custom warnings. You can create editable warnings that allow the moderator in question to record a 0 point warning. If your mods are abusing your rules then take away their modship.

It's really not a matter of abuse or people not doing their job it's just using this method is IMO a friendlier approach to managing the forum and how in an ideal world I would like to set things up. I think the class system I've proposed will actually help develop a greater sense of community and produce more objective outcomes from a management perspective. I also don't see this as an issue of trusting or not trusting people but as a way to include more people in the process.

My suggestion may not be "necessary" but it certainly wouldn't harm anything if it was to be included. I've looked at a few different forum software's and I can't find one that offers this. Is there anyway this could be accomplished by the use of a MOD?

I guess in all honestly I would like the ability to decide how my forum is managed and how my staff are organized. It would be nice if others could understand that.

I'm still wondering if an add-on of some sort would work to create the set up I'm looking for? Could you create a separate warning system that would only be available to a create usergroup? Or could the current system be modified by someone rather than requesting it be part of xenforo by default?

Top Bottom