XF 1.3 Moderating Group Permission

bloh

Here's my steps.
1. I set the moderating group to have certain permission (i.e. deleting thread)
2. I add one of the users to be a content moderator (one particular forum) & add that user to moderating group.
3. That user will be able to delete thread NOT ONLY in that particular forum, but also ALL other forums.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Here's my steps.
1. I set the moderating group to have certain permission (i.e. deleting thread)
2. I add one of the users to be a content moderator (one particular forum) & add that user to moderating group.
3. That user will be able to delete thread NOT ONLY in that particular forum, but also ALL other forums.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Only if you select super moderator, or select them to be a moderator of a parent forum (they have powers in child nodes as well).

Liam

Oh, actually, I'm being stupid :)

The moderating usergroup is global. If, in the moderating group, you allow delete all threads, then they'll be able to delete all threads.

You should set these permissions when creating the moderator to make them apply only to the forum you select.

Liam

Oh ok. Then it looks like it's useless to create a moderating group then. I thought it would give all the moderators a general permission across their respective forums.

Oh ok. Then it looks like it's useless to create a moderating group then. I thought it would give all the moderators a general permission across their respective forums.

All usergroups are global. It's always like this.

A moderating usergroup is generally used for a user banner, user title, or other non-node permissions.

A moderating usergroup is generally used for a user banner, user title, or other non-node permissions.
I disagree. Many forums will use a moderating user group to give global moderator permissions to all their staff. It's easier than setting their permissions individually in ACP > Moderators when all staff have the same permissions.

It's a shame there isn't an easier way to set permissions for content moderators of just one forum. This is an issue for large sites with many forums and moderators for each one.

Forum moderators' permissions is something that IMO XenForo handles extremely badly. On a large board with many Moderators it makes setup and maintenance of those perrmissions that apply only to Moderators in "their" nodes very tedious. It's like it wasn't thought through properly. There is no distinction, really, in XF permissions terms, between SuperMods and regular Mods. The scheme is not scalable to a big board.

See http://xenforo.com/community/posts/721268/ for a suggestion.

Top Bottom