Moderating and User Groups

Vishal Rao

1. I would like to know if there's a way to bulk change the user group of users.

In my current forum software, posts from new users are sent to a pre-moderation queue. As I approve them, I also have an option of removing them from the pre-moderation queue, so future posts from them will not be moderated.

I know I can change user groups of users here but is there a way to do it in bulk so I don't have to click on each user and change their user group once I have moderated their messages?

2. Is it possible to restrict use of certain BB codes? For example I want users to be able to use only BOLD in signature.

re: 1. How would you want to do it in bulk? How would you determine whether they have been approved once already?

re: 2. No, just wait till your users find out that they can embed YouTube videos in their signatures, that's going to be awesome (for them, not for you).

How would you determine whether they have been approved once already?

That's what my forum software enables me to do as it has a option to remove the user from the moderation queue (in other words upgrade) as and when I approve their initial posts.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any option where I can set number of approved posts after which a user may automatically be moved to a different group.

re: 2. No, just wait till your users find out that they can embed YouTube videos in their signatures, that's going to be awesome (for them, not for you).

Sorry brother, what may be great for users may not be good for the board as a whole. The success of a board depends on the quality of the content and not on the colorfulness of user's signature. It may be good for a chit chat board but certainly not for a forum where content is the main focus.

The ability to restrict/modify/delete BBCodes is a serious limitation.

I just took demo of IPB and it's seems to have all the features required for running a successful board. However, the only thing that's stopping me from going ahead with it is it's performance. It's very very slow compared to Xenforo.

That's what my forum software enables me to do as it has a option to remove the user from the moderation queue (in other words upgrade) as and when I approve their initial posts.
I can see how this would work for one user, what I am curious about is how it would work in bulk?
It's pretty safe to say that there is no such bulk approval & upgrade feature in XF, but at the same time it does sound like an interesting feature.

Still, I am not clear how this would work in bulk. You need to read the post to decide whether to approve it. When you approve it you could get the option to upgrade the user. How would this work for 10 users at a time? 50? It would have to be some page that shows all users who are awaiting moderation and then the content of their posts as well?

Also, there doesn't seem to be any option where I can set number of approved posts after which a user may automatically be moved to a different group.
True, there's no such thing. Again, I can see how that could be useful in certain situations but probably not all that useful for the majority of the forums out there. Seems more like add-on functionality.

Sorry brother, what may be great for users may not be good for the board as a whole. The success of a board depends on the quality of the content and not on the colorfulness of user's signature. It may be good for a chit chat board but certainly not for a forum where content is the main focus.
I was being sarcastic. ;)
The inability to restrict signature content is one of the main shortcomings of XF in my opinion. Allowing users to embed video into a signature was like the worst idea in forum history. :)
I choose to believe that it was actually an oversight rather than an intended feature to be able to embed video in sigs.

I can see how this would work for one user, what I am curious about is how it would work in bulk?

I agree that it would not work in bulk. It's just that there needs to be option wherein I can move a user to a different group simultaneously while approving their posts.

Again, I can see how that could be useful in certain situations but probably not all that useful for the majority of the forums out there.

If not the above then at least an option of moving users to a different group after n posts should be possible. But the above is most preferred as I have been running a forum (in a highly spam prone niche) since 7 years and I absolutely love this feature. You see, one can immediately judge the quality of a user by looking at their initial posts. All my users go through the moderation queue initially. After viewing their initial posts, I remove them from the moderation queue (move to another group), wherein their posts are not approved. This technique stops spam almost completely. Spammers don't care to make few good initial posts and then start spamming. They start spamming from the word go.

Here, in Xenforo, after approving the posts, I have to keep a mental note of all the users that need to be moved to another group and then move them one by one. Really cumbersome.

Regarding BBCodes, it's not just the signature but one should be able to restrict/modify/delete BBCodes for the entire board.

Top Bottom