Moderate first posts.....but leaving Registered as is

craigiri

I want to set up something like the example at:
http://xenforo.com/help/user-group-promotions/

But want it to be for only new members from this point on - we already have 20,000+ in the Registered group.

So, should I do this by setting up a new group called something like "probation" and then make this the default group for new registrants (where do I do that?).....and then they get to be Registered after 5 posts?

Or, would it be better to move everyone in current Registered to a new "verified" group? This seems more confusing to me rather than the first example.....

Set up a new promotion to add everyone with 5 posts to a new group and set the Registered user group to be moderated.

Exactly as it explains in the example.

So, should I do this by setting up a new group called something like "probation" and then make this the default group for new registrants (where do I do that?)
That would require a change in the code as the default group is Registered.

OK, I did this and ran the cron jobs a couple times - and only 600 or so members out of 6,000+ with posts exceeding the count were moved to the new verified group.

Is this something that happens after they log in again? Explain.

Yes, actually I did. Maybe I am dense.....but see multiple meanings there....

"Once saved, the first 5 posts of all (including those already on?) members (new AND existing?) will be pre-moderated. Once they have made 5 posts (after promo or total count?) they will be automatically promoted and added to the Verified Member user group, allowing them to post normally. Note that their posts will only go through normally after the promotion has run (when does promo run, I assumed running crons would do it). It is not instantaneous."

I did read the "not instantaneous".
When, officially, does the promotion "run" and is there any way to force it to update, etc.?

The cron task runs every hour.

Any members who have logged in within the previous 72 hours will be promoted the next time the cron task runs.

Assume the cron task runs at 8 o'clock and member x hasn't logged in for a week; they won't be promoted.

If they then log in at 8.30, the next time the cron runs at 9 o'clock they will be promoted.

Once the promotion has been saved, any members active within the last 72 hours who match all of the criteria, will be promoted. If a member no longer qualifies for the promotion, due to their status or the promotion criteria changing, then they will be demoted and removed from the user groups(s).
The 72 hours thing should be a setting.
Where 0 = all members.
The cron job obviously should be manually triggerable.

There's a reason why it's set to 72 hours and doesn't automatically process all 20,000 promotions at once...

Yes, I fully understand.
But if it is done for the reasons of excess server load, knowing how it all works is helpful for those of us who have dedicated servers and maybe are on our slow times of year....that is, I'm sure I could set it to process a batch every hour.

No biggie - I just like to know how and why so that I know what to expect.

Top Bottom