Resource icon

Mobile Style Selector 1.2

No permission to download

cclaerhout

cclaerhout submitted a new resource:

Mobile Style Selector (version 1) - Select which style to use with mobile and/or tablet devices

Mobile Style Selector
by Cédric CLAERHOUT

Addon Presentation

I'm not sure theme developers will find this useful, but this small addon will allow you to select which style to use with mobile and/or tablet devices.

View attachment 36373

Addon requirements
  1. To detect tablets, you will need the following addon:...

Read more about this resource...

Does this force users to use a specific style? Or can I switch back to full version with no hassle on the mobile device?

Great add though :)

Does this force users to use a specific style? Or can I switch back to full version with no hassle on the mobile device?

Great add though :)
Yes it forces users to use a specific style but users can still select any styles. And once they had selected a style by themselves this information seems to be saved inside a cookie. So if users want to go back to the default style (mobile or not) he will need to reset their cookies (normal behaviour).

Yes it forces users to use a specific style but users can still select any styles. And once they had selected a style by themselves this information seems to be saved inside a cookie. So if users want to go back to the default style (mobile or not) he will need to reset their cookies (normal behaviour).
I tested it out and works flawlessly as in it lets me select other styles while on my mobile style that I assigned in this addon. Thank you very much!

So what mobile styles are there that work?

This addon works with every style.
Since Russ had removed his wonderful work only the new "responsive" designs by Arty are available for premade mobile styles. Very recommendable!

If I set my default style to desktop and the default mobile to mobile and untick force mobile, when I go to my site on a mobile device it shows the mobile skin, then when I login it switches to the desktop skin, is that right?

Forcing mobile seems better if so.

If I set my default style to desktop and the default mobile to mobile and untick force mobile, when I go to my site on a mobile device it shows the mobile skin, then when I login it switches to the desktop skin, is that right?

Forcing mobile seems better if so.
You are right, it's because the user has selected a style which is not the default style. I've spent hours between my laptop and my iPod to find a clean way to bypass this and I got it.

It won't let me switch from the mobile style to a regular one, despite the fact that 'Force Mobile Style' is deselected. Anyone know a fix to this?

I have a member that has just stated that his IE10 on Windows 8 is defaulting to my mobile theme.. I don't know if this is on your end that I should be asking or somewhere else...? He said he has a user agent if this will be helpful? I'm also using your Browser Detection addon in conjunction with this..

I have a member that has just stated that his IE10 on Windows 8 is defaulting to my mobile theme.. I don't know if this is on your end that I should be asking or somewhere else...? He said he has a user agent if this will be helpful? I'm also using your Browser Detection addon in conjunction with this..
I will not update to Windows 8, so it's going to be hard to check this sorry. What you can do is:
  • Download the new version of the Browser Detection addon (updated today), check if it's working
  • If not, turn off the Browser Detection addon (it will then the default XenForo function that will try to detect if user is using a mobile device),
  • Check if your user didn't customize his user agent to fake his broswer id

This only works if you have a mobile theme, correct? Does anybody have any suggestions?

Also, is the windows 8 thing fixed?

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...itches-by-machine-saved-in-preferences.31115/

Can this be extended so that the Mobile Style Selector also be a Preferences option that can members can turn on for themselves so that they can select which Mobile theme that they can automatically browse the site in after logging in.

Also, can you add the option of saving which styles to use by machine? For instance, the Mobile Style Selector lets you choose which style to use for Mobile Phones and which theme to use for Tablets.

Top Bottom