Mobile Internet can be very expensive :(

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
I'm in the states and I use Virgin Mobile's pre-paid plan on an Samsung Intercept android phone. I have unlimited data with this plan ($30 a month) and I use it as my primary internet connection at one location (tether with my PC and other devices).

While its not true broadband the 3G is plenty fast depending on the time of day/day of the week. Much much better than dial-up for sure. My plan is truly unlimited, I know because I have abused it every now and again and downloaded several GB a month over the connection. I try not to abuse it...but sometimes you gotta download a lot of data and when you have no other option...

Anyway, if your in the states and their coverage is decent in your area its a good option if you don't have access to broadband imo. Virgin Mobile uses the sprint network which from what I hear doesn't have the greatest coverage. But in my state there are only a few places I go (way back in the hills) where I can't get a connection to a cell tower.

Just thought I'd pitch in my 2 cents as I used my phone as my primary internet connection for a few months and still do 3 days out of the week. I'm actually posting from it right now via tether! ;) Hell, I've even played on Xbox live with it...lag wasn't _that_ bad xD. I also use it when working on peoples PCs who don't have an internet at their home so I can download all the updates for the OS and what-not.

The iPhone is notorious for this. It doesn't appear to turn data usage off when roaming - every phone I've ever had (including my current Android Xperia Play) do this automatically. My brother got a €400 bill when in Spain using his Austrian iPhone.
No WONDER all the carriers vie for exclusive iphone deals with Apple.
heh.

Top Bottom