Mobile Development?

MrLeft

Facts:
- In May global internet traffic through mobile devices reached 10% and climbing fast!
- Most estimates say mobile internet access will actually surpass PC in 2-4 years!
- The Xenforo crew have mentioned they've been working on a Mobile skin since last year!
- Since January the Xen crew has said to expect a beta version of XF with mobility by end of Q2!
- Since January the Xen crew has claimed development has never stopped!
- The recent 1.2 communique communicates nothing tangible .. aside from reading between the lines that they are so far behind schedule that they can't even say how far behind schedule they actually are!

Please don't take this as another thread against XF because of delays .. and in all honesty I don't care about whether 1.2 is released tomorrow or 2 years from now! What I DO care about is the lack of a desperately needed mobile skin! Whether it's called 1.1.4 or 1.1.3+mobility or released as 1.2 with all things formerly slated for 1.2 pushed back to 1.3 .. I don't care!

Personally I don't even feel KAM owe us anything in terms of other updates as nothing much else of critical importance (well .. aside from spam management tools) has been promised for a specific date, and nothing else is really needed as support and security updates continue! Plus Xenforo really is an AMAZING product that is ahead of the curve in most things forum aside from having a good mobile theme, where something is needed ASAP!

To be clear .. for just about everything else I don't really care .. but claiming development on a quality mobile theme has been ongoing for more than the last half a year and then last minute suddenly realising you're so far behind schedule that you can't even give a reasonable estimate to update the one given over 5 months ago is something I find very difficult to accept!

I'm not even that upset it has been delayed .. I somewhat understand given the lawsuit situation! But what is upsetting is that we've been led to believe everything has been relatively on track all this time, when clearly it has not been! The announcement of the delay should have been made several weeks ago at the very least .. or even simply a statement saying that mobility is no longer targeted for Q2!

If it's a couple of weeks late then fine .. not the end of the world .. but if it's so far behind schedule that you can't even give us a rough estimate after claiming development has been ongoing the 5 months then at the very least we are owed an idea of what's up so we can plan ahead for short/medium/long term!

I've held off development of a new project of a network of sites because I didn't want to invest too much time in mobile add-ons when an integrated solution was around the corner! Now I feel like I've lost a couple of months for nothing! I even renewed my subscription in support of KAM and XF because of the statement that development had never stopped!

I don't care about lawsuits .. or other updates .. or 1.2 .. or anything else ... but for the love of the binary gods could we please get a REAL update about the mobile situation with REAL information .. even if it's to give a fuzzy estimate like " we've completed about 75% of what we've wanted to with the mobile theme but are still about 4 to 6 weeks until beta as long as no major bugs or court issues arise" .. is that really so hard? I feel we are owed at least that much! Or if it's not expected to be off the ground at all for another 6 months ... please let us know so that we can plan other solutions! Because as far as I'm concerned "we'll let you know when we know" is NOT an update at all! :(

And please don't take this the wrong way .. I really love XF and think it's amazing .. I also think that KAM IS doing a great job with ongoing support and security issues .. and if a mobile theme wasn't mentioned last year and then targeted for Q2 with constant reaffirmations that development has been ongoing all this time then I wouldn't mention any of this (even if a mobile theme would be desperately needed) .. but something just doesn't add up here .. and I really feel we are owed a REAL update to the mobile theme situation!

No Mobile
The fact that XF doesn't have official mobile is "not good".
The mobile style already mentioned is quite good.
As well, you can use Tapatalk.

Things could be worse.
Like a $200 mobile style that ... wait ... get this .. doesn't support threads with quotes.
OUCH.
And wait for it ... wait for it ..... the company is spending all their time creating new stuff to force you to upgrade to more and more bloated C.R.A.P.

My site's customized skin: http://www.8thos.com/misc/style?style_id=94

Skins I made for other members: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/custom-mobile-skins.32162/

Before:
xFMobileStop2.jpg

xFMobileStop1.jpg

After:

mYOU3.jpg

WhyWeProtest.jpg

WhyWeProtest2.jpg

I would love to have a decent working Mobile version that will also work with the XenMedio, is this possible? And also work with Post Ratings?

I need both working on a Mobile skin, any available?

The point is the fact that XF is the only forum software that doesnt come with a built in working mobile skin right out of the box. To be honest XF can take a cue from IPB in that aspect.

BTW dont expect the "currently in development mobile skin" that has been in the works for over a year or so and hasnt been talked about in 6 months, to be coming any time soon. Its safe to say any current development of anything they said has been in the works is no longer planned so dont hold your breath on anything new until next year.

I would love to have a decent working Mobile version that will also work with the XenMedio, is this possible? And also work with Post Ratings?

I need both working on a Mobile skin, any available?

It works with Post Ratings already (but we keep getting "accidental" ratings due to using it on mobile devices with small screens).

Pose your questions.

Do we have any kind of ETA on when the answers will be posted? You implied last week most of the answers were ready to go and just waiting for Ashley to do the formatting and make the post. Was it naive to assume that they'd be posted soon?

Do we have any kind of ETA on when the answers will be posted? You implied last week most of the answers were ready to go and just waiting for Ashley to do the formatting and make the post. Was it naive to assume that they'd be posted soon?

Ashley will be the one to post the answers. I thought they would be posted sooner, but he has some family stuff going on right now.

Yes, nothing is done soon around here. Again you have to go back and look at the latest admin posts and see. There is no ETA of anything bud. Just a wait and see type of deal at this point.

Yes, nothing is done soon around here. Again you have to go back and look at the latest admin posts and see. There is no ETA of anything bud. Just a wait and see type of deal at this point.

Correct. No ETA on 1.2 at this time. The lawsuit by vB is taking its toll, and much depends on the outcome of the lawsuit. The trial date is currently set for January 15, 2013. Look forward to that date.

Lol Jake i think you need to change ur title to Probably knows the answer maybe, depending on the question haha

Top Bottom