Fixed  Missing IPs

HannahP

I know there is a thread re: an IP being listed as 127.255.255.255 (resolved), but I can't find any info on missing IPs. Like so:

Untitled-1.webp

The user has two posts, and I assume a registration IP, but nothing is listed. This is not an isolated case, it has happened with a few new users.

If you go to the IP link in his posts, you do see the content IP:

Untitled-1.webp

As a side comment, not having access to the user IPs outside of the spam system is kind of a drag, baby. There's no place to check to see what his registration IP should be, no place to see what's in that field. Short of a db query, anyway, which is not something I want to resort to when checking users (and not something the moderators can do in any event).

I don't think IPs for registration are imported. I'll have to check and change that. I don't believe there's a confirmation IP to import though.

There should be a content IP, except if you initiate the spam cleaner via a profile. In that case, it probably shouldn't show that.

Am I correct in thinking that this user registered after your switch to XF? If so, I'm not sure why there's no registration IP listed off hand...

Yes, post-migration user registration.

Registration IPs do seem to be imported, as all of my old users have a value there.

There should be a content IP, except if you initiate the spam cleaner via a profile. In that case, it probably shouldn't show that.
That is probably the case with the above example. I think it is from the profile.

I was dealing with something related to this yesterday and I may have realized what caused him to not have an IP - registration via Facebook, if you have that enabled. I've since fixed that. (And it also doesn't show placeholders for IPs that we don't have.)

Marking as fixed, but let me know if you don't allow FB registrations.

I noticed that one of them that didn't show a registration IP was a Facebook registration, so that could well be the cause. I'll have to check the others.

---

It was only one of them (with the ridiculously long Facebook proxy email address). You can see in the screen grab above that that guy signed up using a university email account, not Facebook.

Generally speaking, the email that comes from Facebook will be their "real" email. The FB proxy will be rarer.

Checking if someone is a FB user is a bit of a pain - you'd need to look for a record corresponding to their user ID in the xf_user_external_auth table. Since there's a lack of a confirmation IP address (as FB users don't need a separate confirm step) and you do indeed have FB login enabled, that would suggest that this user is from FB, so my change will fix this.

You're absolutely right, all four of them show up in xf_user_external_auth.

Thanks for remembering this thread while you were doing something unrelated.

Top Bottom