Migrating from vbulletin - will VBSEO urls be preserved

sroys

We have an old forum - about 8 years. We have VBSEO installed which rewrites URLs to be more SEO friendly. Will these URLs be preserved or is there some mechanism by which the old URLs would be permanent redirected to the new Xenforo Urls?

Thanks Sheel,
Would moving from Xenforo 1.5 to 2.0 be that difficult. Does the system not do automatic updates like in wordpress?

Also is there a thread which points to the changes that are coming? From 1.5 to 2.0?

Is there a mobile application bundled which can be used with our brand?

The upgrade from XF1 to XF2 won't be that hard (ideally, checking permissions and settings, and setting the newly added ones) - but: All custom style changes you made/installed on XF1, and all plugins you installed, won't work anymore. XF2 has some big technical changes that require existing styles/plugins/languages/etc. to be ported over before they can be used.
(And no, version upgrades are not done automatically - especially this big one would be a disaster if done without supervision)

Since some weeks, XF2 (pure) is what you can see here - but that's basically so that many people can test it and the developers can fix bugs that are found. It's not yet available for download.

Before it was installed here, there was a distinct test forum for about a year: https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/
The https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/forums/announcements-updates.11/ subforum there has much information about new things (some are targeted only to plugin develoeprs and so on, but there are still enough things for normal admins too)

So if I buy this software now - I would receive the 1.5 version - I am guessing with some promise of free update?

Is there any place where I can see a demo of that version (1.5)? Is it radically different from this?

Hmmm... the 2.0 is really quite radically different and much more engaging. But I still don't like how the replies to single posts show up as separate posts and are not nested like in stack exchange. Wish Xenforo would make that change - it would make this software win over a lot of others like Discourse or Nodebb. Is there any plugin available to do that?

Last edited:
@BionicRooster Ok, I meant for actual usage, with upgrade/import and everything ... this is the presales forum, not the one for plugin developers.

@sroys The look is very different, but it's far from the only change - eg. plugins and so on: if you install XF1.5 now, and install (and partially buy) some plugins, styles, and whatever, these won't run 1:1 on XF2. If it's not urgent, I'd wait a bit until XF2 is available (and the plugin collection for XF2 is growing, but currently not satisfying compared to XF1, so maybe even a bit more waiting).

About post comments, I think I've seen something for XF1, but I'm not sure. And, the one thing that hopefully never changes, is that this is a forum with threads. That's why most users here came here in the first place. If you want a SE-like system, or reddit or whatever, there are other softwares.

Ok, I meant for actual usage, with upgrade/import and everything ... this is the presales forum, not the one for plugin developers.

It is not just available for plug in developers at this point in time.
It's available in the "Customer Account" for all active licensed customers to DL so to advise new potential customers it is not available would not encourage them to buy into it.
@sroys I agree that none of the plug-ins for xf1.x.x will work for xf 2.x.x however if you are serious about XenForo, owning a copy now would give you a world of experience in setting it up and how things work rather than going cold into the newer version.

@Bionic Rooster I actually wouldn't buy it if its 1.5 - but the Alpha 2.0 actually makes it a valid proposition specially if it works well enough (like in this site). I do not think I would be porting the vbulletin yet - instead I may use it on a new site which is linked.

But really why hasn't Xenforo updated the replying to specific posts to the way stackexchange / discourse does it? This method of quoting is primitive and should be improved. @XenForo

Maybe because many people do not like the formatting of StackExchange/Discourse?

But doesn't the repetition bother the users. Like I've quoted you and you've quoted me. And lets say after 10 messages someone quotes this message. The conversation becomes disjoint where data is not structured properly.
Also judging by the number of users Stack exchange has it doesn't seem people hate the interface. There are many coding forums - but stack exchange really stands out.

It is not just available for plug in developers at this point in time.
It's available in the "Customer Account" for all active licensed customers to DL so to advise new potential customers it is not available would not encourage them to buy into it.
Yes, but is has no importer and no upgrade path. It's a recipe for disaster to start a real forum with it, and without much technical knowledge

But doesn't the repetition bother the users. Like I've quoted you and you've quoted me. And lets say after 10 messages someone quotes this message. The conversation becomes disjoint where data is not structured properly..
You don't seem to know many forums, because that's exactly not how a forum works. A thread is no collection of semi-related posts that can be viewed in any order, or something like that, a thread is a conversation between people where each sentence has a fixed point in time, and won't make sense elsewhere.

And yes, if many people are in a thread, there might be many quotes - and no, this doesn't bother anyone in the forums I frequent

Also judging by the number of users Stack exchange has it doesn't seem people hate the interface. There are many coding forums - but stack exchange really stands out.
The beginnings of Stackoverflow, where the vision what a tiny bit different (a "library" of google-able answers, not a personal support site for coding problems) was when many good programmers came and made good content. The fundings (risk capital etc.) and marketing of the company behind it helped much too.
Then the policy changed, and the policing started to get annonying, and many people left again. The ones that stayed are either the ones that post masses of "easy" answers to get masses of reputation points, or the people that are too stupid to find something else to get help. (No racism intended, but ) nowadays most askers seem to be from India, where a unreasonable government forces them to use 30 year old tools in programming education, and they noticed that on SO at least someone remembers them.
Summary, a lot of indians, a lot of help/reputation vampires, a lot of trolls and spammers, and a lot of people without common sense acting as police. Some good programmers with a thick skin too. Nonetheless, SO is just numbers, not quality, anymore.

Most smaller network parts (ie. sites other than SO, SU and SV) don't do well at all. Some got some popularity because there are not many forums in that area, others just never lifted up from the floor.

...that's not a fault of the Q/A format. But the QA format alone won't get you many users (and it won't get you a poisoned community either).

Last edited:
Top Bottom