Migrating a large vBulletin forum to Xenforo

Ike

Hi all,

Within the next month or two, we have plans to migrate our large vBulletin 4.2.3 forum to Xenforo. Before we make the plunge, I have a few questions that I was hoping to answer.

1) We're currently using all of the included vBulletin 4 Suite features aside from the Articles feature (Blogs, Groups and Albums specifically). I know that the Xenforo Resource Manager includes Articles, Albums and Downloads, but is there an addon or customization available that will enable/allow Blogs and Groups?

2) We currently use YAAS (Yet Another Awards System). Is there a comparable mod or port for Xenforo and if the former, are you aware of an importer for the awards that we currently carry?

3) Is there a shell based importer for Xenforo? For example, you can run a script such as upgrade.php on vBulletin when upgrading versions, but I think that a shell script for importing the forum database/converting might be easier on us since I believe the page has to be kept open for the entire duration of the conversion (this is possible but we'd rather try to avoid it if possible)

That's all we have for now. Thank you very much to the developers for making such a fine software. We look forward to being a Xenforo customer in the near future!

1) We're currently using all of the included vBulletin 4 Suite features aside from the Articles feature (Blogs, Groups and Albums specifically). I know that the Xenforo Resource Manager includes Articles, Albums and Downloads, but is there an addon or customization available that will enable/allow Blogs and Groups?

There isnt an AIO solution, however all these features can be replicated.

2) We currently use YAAS (Yet Another Awards System). Is there a comparable mod or port for Xenforo and if the former, are you aware of an importer for the awards that we currently carry?

BD medals supports importing from this IIRC.

3) Is there a shell based importer for Xenforo? For example, you can run a script such as upgrade.php on vBulletin when upgrading versions, but I think that a shell script for importing the forum database/converting might be easier on us since I believe the page has to be kept open for the entire duration of the conversion (this is possible but we'd rather try to avoid it if possible)

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/vbulletin-big-board-importer-vbulletin-3-vbulletin-4.1981/

Has significant speed improvements.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/cli-import-external-data.5048/

runs the web importer via cli, but no speed gains.

There isnt an AIO solution, however all these features can be replicated.
I kind of figured that there wouldn't be an AIO solution for that. I would kind of like to know what's available to replace the features before we make the conversion. Essentially, I'm trying to lose as little as possible going from vBulletin to Xenforo.

As for the importer, it seems good enough but the price tag of $150 makes it almost worth taking the 3 days to import our site. We've got limited funds going in to this and I'd rather spend less wherever possible.

Hey @Slavik,

Thank you kindly for your assistance on Sunday. At the present time, I'm evaluating the performance of your XenForo Demo -- Everything looks and feels real swell so far, save for the Admin Control Panel which admittedly is a tad foreign to me... I suppose that this will take a bit of getting used to. Hah.

As for replacing some of the features that we'd otherwise be losing with the conversion, is there any chance of getting pointed in the direction of some figures or even some product information pages so we can look over things? I'd love to at least bring over Blogs and Social Groups. I get the feeling that we'll probably be adding on the Resource Manager to our bill because we'd like the ability to post articles within the forum and not through an external medium.

For the most part you will be able to replicate everything you had on a vBulletin board here on XenForo, there isn't really any "heres what you would lose" documentation so to speak.

For the most part you will be able to replicate everything you had on a vBulletin board here on XenForo, there isn't really any "heres what you would lose" documentation so to speak.
Perhaps I'm just confused or not explaining myself correctly. There's no specific addon or service that I'd need to have blogs or social groups on Xenforo? That's what I would like to know at the moment.

Hello,
I would also like to give a try to XenForo. I'm actually on VB 3.8.4. We have more than a million I and some table are altered by plugins.
Therefore I would like to know before I spend 140$ : If the import cannot be done, is it possible to get a refund ?
Sorry to post on someone else's post, however I through it was the right place as we both are talking about migrating a large VB board.

Evaelis,

Hello,
I would also like to give a try to XenForo. I'm actually on VB 3.8.4. We have more than a million I and some table are altered by plugins.
Therefore I would like to know before I spend 140$ : If the import cannot be done, is it possible to get a refund ?
Sorry to post on someone else's post, however I through it was the right place as we both are talking about migrating a large VB board.

Evaelis,

It depends what alterations are made, but having imported hundreds/thousands of boards if there was a common addon causing issues we would have probably run into it by now.

Generally we offer a reasonable refund policy, we look at each request on a case by case basis.

It depends what alterations are made, but having imported hundreds/thousands of boards if there was a common addon causing issues we would have probably run into it by now.

Generally we offer a reasonable refund policy, we look at each request on a case by case basis.
Then I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

Top Bottom