1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migrateing user groups, nodes, and permissions only?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by san00b, Aug 4, 2011.

1. san00b

san00b Member

I have a XenForo installation that I'm looking to migrate over to another XenForo installation. The thing is, I only want to copy over the usergroups, nodes, and the permissions for both. Can I simply import those tables into the new database? And if so, what are the tables I'd need to import?

Thank you.
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

No. It's more complicated than that. You can't just manually copy tables between databases.

What you need is a XenForo to XenForo importer which doesn't currently exist.
  3. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

You could copy those tables yeah (did a similar operation on my live forum while migrating), just remember to rebuild caches and generally hope for the best
  4. san00b

san00b Member

There aren't many users or topics (this is basically a fresh install to a fresh install), I just don't want to have to redo all the groups, permissions, and nodes.

I'm trying to find the rights tables. So far, I have xf_user_group and xf_node, but I'm having a lot of problems trying to find the right permission tables. xf_permission_entry seems to be the one for usergroup permissions, but I can't find the node permissions. I'll keep looking, but anyone have an idea?
  5. Reeve of Shinra

Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

In a case like this, sometimes the best answer is to backup/restore the database and then prune/delete whatever you don't need.
  6. KozmoK

KozmoK Active Member

Man I wish I imported from my vb forum that I ran for 4 years... I wasn't big on SEO, and didnt realize when I started fresh with messages/threads/users I lost all my ranking. After two months of being on Xenforo I got NO traffic -and finally realized I Screwed up bigtime.

Be smart, take a big breath and plan this out good! I have been trying to recover from my blunder for the past two months.