Migrate XenForo site to a new web host

I totally agree. I cringed when I saw that the OP was moving from another host and chose GoDaddy as their "step-up". Nonetheless, I didn't want to turn this thread into another "Which host is best?" thread, so I tried to stick with the issue at question.
Yeah look I hear ya ... believe me ;)

The main reason for the hasty decision & purchase of the GoDaddy web hosting package, was that we were in a SUPER hurry to get something up & running, as we feared that our 'mate' that was currently hosting our site on his own web hosting package, was going to shut it down at any moment (long story).
From the reading i'd already done, and chats with others on how to migrate XenForo sites, it all seemed pretty simple, i.e. backup ya FTP files, backup ya DB, restore ya DB to new server, upload ya FTP files to new server, change DB settings in an underlying php file, change the URL in the basic board info, check permissions on a couple of php files, confirm something in .htaccess, and boom, easy peasy.

So as we had our domain with GoDaddy, and they offered super cheap hosting which looked to be more than adequate for a site of our size, we jumped at the chance, as we were very fearful that our current site would go down at any moment!

As it happens, the guy hosting our current site hasn't been quite as malicious as I was fearing, and I've had the luxury of time to investigate why the GoDaddy hosting hasn't been working ... and as we've already paid $$ for the web hosting package, I figured I might as well get it working, instead of just writing it off and going with someone else.

[edit: PS, and I do appreciate you not turning this thread into a GoDaddy is sh*t, you should have gone with XYZ ... as that wouldn't have helped my situation one little bit ...]

I totally agree. I cringed when I saw that the OP was moving from another host and chose GoDaddy as their "step-up". Nonetheless, I didn't want to turn this thread into another "Which host is best?" thread, so I tried to stick with the issue at question.

Thanks bud, at least now the OP will know my intention was really to warn about Godaddy too vs just trying to score a sale. I cringed too when I saw who he went with.

I 1+ that. Godaddy shared hosting may not be the good host for FORUMS.
One of my associate recently lost her wordpress database on shared GoDaddy account. They asked for $150 to restore a database.
It was wordpress site with only 0 post and 6 pages..

godaddy is ****. many many bad experiences with them

first of all you should have gone to a provider that had access to cpanel.
Their security is shocking and its no coincidence that more of their sites get hit by viruses than others.

ventraip / panthur would have been the ones you should have looked at, both from australia. depends where your site is targetting. if global then by all means go offshore hosting. if your target market is australia you want good response times and the only way to get that is if your host is in australia.

p.s im also from australia and my site is with ventraip

Top Bottom