I've read a bunch of the articles/FAQs available via this site, which talk about doing the f0llowing:
1) backup mysql database - DONE
2) back up all files via FTP- DONE
3) restore all files via FTP to new web server - DONE
4) restore/upload mysql database on new server - DONE
5) update config.php on new server with login details for new mysql db - DONE
6) change 'Board URL' via ACP pointing to new server - NOT DONE
7) migrate DNS to point friendly name at new web server - NOT DONE
In short, no site is launching when I hit the IP addy of the new web server, but I simply get a 'pageok' response.
I haven't yet done step 6, as I'd like to test that the site is launching on the new server, before I bring down our live site.
I'm a little confused, because I can't actually get to the ACP of my site, on the new web server, due to it not launching ... and can't see how changing the Board URL in the ACP of our live site, is going to magically bring it up on the new server?
Can anyone provide any assistance, or perhaps suggest whether or not it's possible to copy/migrate a XenForo site to a new web server, without taking down our live one first? (obviously licensing is a consideration, as I don't want to breach any licensing agreement, so I'm keen to know also what the kosher thing to do is when you want to test the new site/host, before breaking a live one!).
Thx heaps in advance,