Migrate from PhpBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

zylantex

Can I do a clean migrate including attachments from phpBB 3.1.9 to the latest Xenforo?

I've had bad experiences with vB Impex, an absolute shambles of a piece of software, and I can't afford to be stung again.

Yes, the built in importer will import all standard content.

See the screenshot in the pre-sales FAQ in my signature for what is imported.

I saw that but I concerned by the term Beta at the end.
Beta in my experience usually means almost, very nearly but not quite, does what it's supposed to.

How did you go with this @zylantex ?
I'm thinking of doing similar but it appears no post/threads can be brought over?
So all I can bring over is the members? What about threads etc. is that a job that requires professional help outside of the importer, or can't be done at all.
phpbb-3.1 import.webp

The test I did worked very well with one or two minor blips.
You must manually copy via FTP your custom avatars and attachments to the new XF directory structure before you start the import process. I can't remember what directories they have to go in, possibly /images/misc and images/avatars, but you get a warning at the appropriate stage of the import which identifies the directories. A quick directory rename via FTP and the job's done. Some attachments failed, possibly because I didn't get the size parameters correct. I had bent the rules a little on the phpbb forum to allow some particularly interesting photos.
The other issue was videos. The BB code to display video in phpBB does not match exactly with that in XF so it is probably best to run a SQL command to strip the video BB code from your posts before import.
Other than that every post was correctly imported. I was very impressed.

You will need to associate your forum user name with your license to obtain further help and assistance and to be able to post on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom