Microsoft is dropping support for Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 next week. Will that impact XF2.0?

Unfortunately, what Microsoft decides to do in terms of supporting its browsers is far removed from the market share of each browser.

Where it is still practical to do so and where the market share dictates we should, we will still support the older browsers. The most significant thing in recent years been down to IE8 which is the last browser supported by Windows XP. It is certainly on a decline, thankfully, but depending on where you look, it seems as though there are more people using Windows XP than there are using Mac OS X. Although it seems as though some stats I've just seen seem to be suggesting that Mac OS X has overtaken XP in recent months -- hopefully Windows 10 will be the vehicle for this change.

I think the opinion we will take is if we can practically support it without a ton of work, or without a ton of compromises for those with the larger share, we will. At the moment XF 2.0 is still using jQuery 1.11.0 - the same version as XF 1.5 - and this helps the older browsers stay functioning reasonably well in XF 2.0.

Just bear in mind that this isn't necessarily set in stone :) But it's generally what we're trying to do. We're not letting older stuff hold us back and we will upgrade things if we have to (e.g. like we moved from PHP 5.3 to 5.4) .

Fair play! Thought that might be the case. This move should at least get businesses and enterprise into gear to upgrade their legacy software to work with modern browsers for security reason. Hopefully that'll help accelerate their drop in market share.

It still doesn't matter :) It won't change the fact that PHP 5.4 does what we need to do without making compromises, it doesn't change that people can still use newer PHP versions to enjoy the performance benefits and it doesn't change the fact that adoption rate is incredibly poor and forcing an abitrary increase in PHP requirements is just going to potentially alienate customers.

If the situation changes and our needs change, we will review it, but until then there's no reason to.

It still doesn't matter :) It won't change the fact that PHP 5.4 does what we need to do without making compromises, it doesn't change that people can still use newer PHP versions to enjoy the performance benefits and it doesn't change the fact that adoption rate is incredibly poor and forcing an abitrary increase in PHP requirements is just going to potentially alienate customers.

If the situation changes and our needs change, we will review it, but until then there's no reason to.

But if you use PHP 6 you get unicode support :rolleyes:

This move should at least get businesses and enterprise into gear to upgrade their legacy software to work with modern browsers for security reason.
hehehehehe... you every work around a LARGE orginization? If it's going to be expensive - then odds are they will stick with where they are at and code their "sites" that they need downward to work with XP. I worked for a short while at a call center (for extra spending kaching) after retiring. I got tired of dealing with the XP issues, especially when they were told that IE7 was no longer going to be supported but they were insistent on continuing to use it. Was more headache than it was worth and I gave my notice.

Unfortunately yes....I've worked for a couple of international companies, including a soul destroying call center for a while. Some more tech savvy than the rest. Of course the larger ones, the ones more resistant to change and dumping large amounts of money into upgrading internal systems have just haven't.

Surely Microsoft dropping support and security updates for these browsers will help give the sysadmins the leverage they need to finally got to start getting approval on plans and projects to upgrade internal systems to use more secure software/browsers?

Although I'm sure it will take some companies yet another large public data breach before anything does get actioned.

Surely Microsoft dropping support and security updates for these browsers will help give the sysadmins the leverage they need to finally got to start getting approval on plans and projects to upgrade internal systems to use more secure software/browsers?
Talked to a girl I know that is still working at the call center (she was one of the call takers) and she said they are STILL using the same old computers with the same operating system roll-out as they were when I was there 3 1/2 years ago.
That was Windows XP SP2 and IE7 and Firefox 3.6.? (don't remember the point number).

Top Bottom