Cannot reproduce Message Editor: "Spelling Correction" causes text to resize

Valhalla

I have been experiencing problems with message text resizing unexpectedly when composing a message. I haven't been able to gather reproducible steps, but I will post my observations and update the thread with any more information.

This is on a Mac 10.10 using Safari 8.0.

If you are typing a body of text and make a spelling mistake, if (1) it does not get automatically corrected (a misspelt word), and (2) you do not correct it yourself, then a red line will appear below that word.

Assuming you continue typing and correct it later using the computer's "suggestions" dialog, upon selecting a suggested word, the incorrect word will be replaced, but a portion of the text that surrounds that word will reduce in size with [SIZE=2][/SIZE] tags. This only happens on occasion, and I cannot determine in what conditions it occurs.

However, sometimes the text will resize when the misspelt word is automatically corrected by the computer. So, both what I posted above (manually selecting the correction from the list), and when the word is corrected "in-line" may cause this problem to occur.

I will say that this problem occurred when composing this message (I'm not sure if that's relevant.)

For reference, these are my settings in my "Spelling and Grammar" menu:
Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 18.53.31.webp

This is how the message looks in the post editor when this problem occurs. Note: the word "samples" is the word that was corrected prior to it having a red line below it.

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 19.03.46.webp

Here is the same message in the "BB Code Editor":

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 19.03.31.webp

I will say that, although I have tried to deliberately produce the error, it does affect me under normal circumstances.

Last edited:
I get this occasionally on Win 7/Chrome.

I have never been able to reproduce it consistently.

We did have another report of this with OS X Safari, but this is the first one that connected it to a misspelling.

(I've never had it happen with Win 7/Chrome.)

We did have another report of this with OS X Safari, but this is the first one that connected it to a misspelling.

(I've never had it happen with Win 7/Chrome.)
I don't have this problem.. but I DO have a user that recently got a Mac and he's having the same issue in both Safari and Chrome.
When he highlights the text and corrects it, it removes most of the formatting (font size, etc) but typically leaves the color.

Annoyingly, I just can't get this to reproduce so I don't even know what HTML is actually being generated. I'm not positive I'd actually be able to prevent it as it likely isn't exposed to us. Does anyone have a semi-consistent way to trigger this?

I'll see if I can come up with a consistently reproducible test case.

I have encountered it a few times both when correcting a typo and pasting content.

When it happens, right click in the small text and choose "inspect element". It should bring up a panel showing the HTML tree for that area. Screenshot that please.

Top Bottom