Lack of interest Merge Mod / Admin System and Standard Permission System

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Snoozero

After exploring the admin control panel for a while, I really love the way that permissions are inherited, managed, and assigned. However, now that I've gotten used to how everything works, I'd like to suggest that the "Moderators" and "Administrative" permission systems are merged into the regular group permission system.

Moderators:
We can already assign all moderator permissions to individual users or user groups via "User Group Permissions" and "User Permissions," so why is there a separate tab for "Moderators," which lets us assign these permissions with less stylish and less in-depth checkboxes? As far as I can tell, this entire "Moderators" tab could be removed and we'd still have all the existing functionality.

Admins:
Admin powers are a little different. I'd like to propose that the admin powers become assignable in the standard user and group permissions areas. "Manage add-ons", "Upgrade XenForo", etc, could all be permissions which can be default / allow / deny, just like everything else. This way, the "Administrators" tab could be removed as well. Everything would be managed under user groups and user permissions.

I feel that these changes would make moderator and admin permissions a lot more standardized, and it would make sense for them to fit into the existing permission system. Also, "Moderators" and "Administrative" would no longer need to be special, undeletable groups.

Side notes:
This would also eliminate the need for special "Super Moderators" and "Forum Moderators," because a user group could be created with node permissions on that forum, then the user could be assigned to that group.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
i dont really dig finding myself seemingly setting moderator permissions twice. well, it actually seems like they need to be set for every individual moderator?? id love to just set up a group and call it good. i havent sussed out the advantage of the current system yet.

i dont really dig finding myself seemingly setting moderator permissions twice. well, it actually seems like they need to be set for every individual moderator?? id love to just set up a group and call it good. i havent sussed out the advantage of the current system yet.

From what I can tell, you can already do this. In node permissions, click the node, click the usergroup you want to moderate that node, then give that group the appropriate moderator permissions. Assign it as a secondary group to your users, and you're done! That's part of why I think the other "Moderators" system should be removed.

but when you 'make a moderator' you are led to that other perms screen, implying it is necessary. and if you dont make a mod they wont have the moderation toolbar and the reported posts alerts.

but when you 'make a moderator' you are led to that other perms screen, implying it is necessary. and if you dont make a mod they wont have the moderation toolbar and the reported posts alerts.

I think this is actually a bug. Rather than showing the moderator bar to users who can moderate posts, it's only shown to people in the "Moderators" system. If users have the direct link to "Reported Posts," and can't see the moderator bar, they can actually still use it. IMO, this isn't how it's supposed to work.

in the past it has been stated it is the intended behaviour, somehow to determine whether a mod will have the toolbar and appear in 'staff online'.
personally, id prefer two new usergroup permissions instead.

in the past it has been stated it is the intended behaviour, somehow to determine whether a mod will have the toolbar and appear in 'staff online'.
personally, id prefer two new usergroup permissions instead.

I definitely agree with this. If this was discussed before, was there anyone who thought they shouldn't be permissions? I don't really see a downside to it, and there's several benefits.

Top Bottom