1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory available

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by ibaker, May 23, 2013.

1. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

I have a server with 16gig of ram...it runs memcache. I have 2 XF sites on it and 1 ecom shop site.

In WHM it is reporting that only around 25% of memory is being used:

But when I log in to the server using Putty and run free -m it says it is using just about all memory:

Can anyone advise of an explanation for this...thanks
  2. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Linux uses all available memory for caching so normally you have free memory = 0.

WHM subtracts the caching so beginners are not irritated.
    Just use the numbers from free and calc avail memory minus caching (in your screenshot: 16 GB minus 10 GB caching).
    Ingenious and ibaker like this.
  3. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

Thanks Walter...
  4. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

Was your site busy at these times? It probably would be better to give Mysql some RAM for caching...
  5. ibaker

ibaker Well-Known Member

No, it wasn't very busy when I took those screen shots. The reason I was asking is that I am having a chat room installed and the chat room people said there wasn't enough free memory to run it...they said that I only had about 1gig of memory available. Not being a server admin person I needed to verify what they were saying and whether there was a problem with my server...thanks again
  6. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

nice read http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
    WSWD and ibaker like this.