1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Member Specific Forum

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by ting.mike, Jul 17, 2012.

1. ting.mike

ting.mike Member

Is it possible to make one user the only one who can create new threads on a Forum? Everybody else can reply to the thread, but they can't make new threads.

I tried making that one user Moderator for the forum and then unchecking "Allow New Messages To Be Posted On This Forum", but that doesn't seem to work since the Moderator apparently can't override that rule.

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Admin CP -> Applications -> Display Node Tree -> Permissions -> Registered -> Post new thread = Revoke

Admin CP -> Applications -> Display Node Tree -> Permissions

In the top right you will see a box to set permissions for an individual user:

Screen shot 2012-07-17 at 2.41.41 AM.png

Set Post new thread = Allow for that user. Everything else is Inherit.

3. MOZ

MOZ Well-Known Member

Create the forum. Set permission for "Registered" users to "Revoke" for "Post New Thread". Add the member that can and make his permission "Always" for "Post a new thread"

Edit: Ninjaad.

4. ting.mike

ting.mike Member

Thanks, Jake.

Thanks, Moz.

5. ting.mike

ting.mike Member

Jake, that works really well..

On my other XF forum, however, I only get three options: Not Set, Allow, and Never.
    Instead of Inherit, Allow, Revoke, and Never.

Both are on XF 1.1.3. Any idea what's up?

6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Not Set is in the group and user permissions. Inherit is in the node permissions. Make sure you are in the same area.

7. ting.mike

ting.mike Member

Got it, thanks Jake.