XF 1.3 Member registration/admin changes stop working after a while on VPS (cache related)

derpyhooves

Ever since I moved onto a vps my member registrations and admin changes would stop working after a while.

The registration page would come up with a google chrome error page and admin changes to people's profiles would load for a while,t hen the page would refresh without the banner appearing at the top saying that the changes were saved.

I've researched this on the forums and it seems that restarting httpd fixes it temporarily.
I've spoken about this with my host and they have said this.

For sure it's something related to memory problem. It fixes it when you restart apache maybe to make bash cron job script to get apache restarted on some period of time (like when you have traffic low or similar).

This is usually when script make a lot of cache in it and reserving memory footprint.
This is always solved by some patch like quick restart, removal of cache or similar.

I hope this information was helpful to you. If not, please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.

To me having to restart my vps every few hours doesn't seem like a very good idea as my forum is getting more and more members, and there has to be another option. Would there be a way to increase the cache in size? or is it limited to the ram I have on my vps or what exactly? Keep in mind that I have not defined a cache as seen here: http://xenforo.com/help/cache/

This is a pretty serious issue and I hope it can be resolved one way or another, please someone help me.

The cache in this question is likely a PHP opcode cache such as APC. Issues like this can pop up if you use an opcode cache with a version of PHP that it's not 100% designed for (or if there are other PHP extensions that conflict).

Unfortunately, the only real things that can be done are disabling the opcode cache (not ideal for performance), trying a different opcode cache/opcode cache version/different PHP version. In general, I think these issues are most often seen with APC and PHP 5.4. Note that PHP 5.5 has a built-in opcode cache, so that may be worth a shot.

The cache in this question is likely a PHP opcode cache such as APC. Issues like this can pop up if you use an opcode cache with a version of PHP that it's not 100% designed for (or if there are other PHP extensions that conflict).

Unfortunately, the only real things that can be done are disabling the opcode cache (not ideal for performance), trying a different opcode cache/opcode cache version/different PHP version. In general, I think these issues are most often seen with APC and PHP 5.4. Note that PHP 5.5 has a built-in opcode cache, so that may be worth a shot.
Hey Mike thanks for the reply. My vps is indeed running on PHP 5.4.24 . Would a simple update to 5.5 fix the issue? Or do I need to do something else aswell?

I couldn't make a guarantee as to what would fix it, but switching to PHP 5.5 and the built-in opcode cache (rather than APC) may solve the issue.

Top Bottom