XF 1.2 Member online status

Yes, if they have this permission set to Allow in usergroups they are a member of:

upload_2013-9-12_11-34-40.webp

Usually people who hide their online status will appear a different colour to distinguish them.

If you want to disable it for certain usergroups, set it to "Not Set".

Of course they can still choose to hide their online status.

That permission decides who can still see those members who hide their online status.

Isn't it their right to be able to hide their online status if they choose to? Not sure why you would want to take that away.

I guess my questions is why someone would want to hide it. And as someone mentioned in another thread, if enough people did this, it could "appear" to be a deserted site or not so busy forum?

I've set online status to only be visible to those who are registered members i.e. guests can't see who is online (either status or the online new/recently online blocks). We're a small community and we all know each other quite well, so I can't see a need to hide online status. However, we do have at least one member who does.

Rather than remove their right to hide themselves from others, I took a different approach. If someone wants to hide their online status so that others can't see them then that's fine, I've used conditionals so that hidden users also can't see who else is online. If you want to be hidden then that's fine, but if others can't see you then you can't see them. :)

Waindigo has now released an add-on to do this though I just did mine by editing the various templates. The tricky bit was remembering all of the places that online status and related bits appears in.

Top Bottom