• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Member Map

Martin Aronsen

Member Map is an add-on that lets your member add their locations to a Google Map.

This may look similar to User Map by digitalpoint, the difference being that your member will have to personally add them selves to the map.

Features
  • Members can add their location to the map
  • Members can, when allowed, delete their location
  • Clicking on a map pointer, or a username in the sidebar opens a neat infobar at the bottom of the map
  • You can choose if you want to have this in its own tab, or as a sub-item in the members tab
  • Members can choose whether to use MarkerClusterer or not
  • Admin can turn off MarkerClusterer
  • HTML5 geolocation for auto-detecting the users location in the form
Installation
  • Upload the entire content of the "upload" folder inside the zip file to the root folder of your XenForo installation.
  • Import "addon-memberMap.xml" by going to ACP -> Install Add-Ons.
  • Alter the permissions for the user groups.
Upgrade
Redo the first two steps in the installation block above.

Screenshots
memberMap01.webpmemberMap02.webp

Changelog
    • Compatibility fix for Xenforo 1.1 (Thanks to SheepCow for the fix)
    • Height calculations did not change the height of the sidebar
    • And it also added anything added to the footer into the calculation, which wasn't necessary
    • Calculating the height of the map using Javascript instead of fixed CSS values
    • Fixing missing location search results by changing to the geocoder built into Google Maps API
    • Hitting the enter key in the marker form now searches for the location, instead of automatically submitting the form (which in some cases caused you to delete your location, or throw a PHP error)
    • Re-visited previously fixed bug
    • Added HTML5 geolocation
    • Added option for defining default zoom level
    • Added two missing phrases in the options page
    • Added a "Can view map" permission (Remember to set this if your upgrading!)
    • Changed colors in the CSS file to use existing style properties
    • If a user is using the map, it now shows in their online status.
    • Map did not show if there were no markers to show.
As this is my first official XenForo add-on, I appreciate all sort of feedback.

Attachments

Not sure what to say.. Sorry? :p Glad you like it, though!

Making this has been a great learning experience for me, and I'm sure it's been same same for you, which will come in good use in our next add-ons :)

Dont need to say anythin m8 LOL ... Done a good job of it, and yeah I'll learnt a hell of a lot just through doing it. :) Gonna continue with mine because of the way markers are added through the location (ragtek that was def an excellent idea!).

I'm actually quite glad you have released it when I've got to a point I want to finish mine to be honest, because I dont think I would have continued with it and learnt so much had this already existed. I would have simply added yours to my site :)

Gonna continue with mine because of the way markers are added through the location (ragtek that was def an excellent idea!).
Automatically adding the members to the map using the location set in their profile? I did think about that myself, but I didn't like the idea of "stealing" it from the members without their consent.
And I don't trust Google's Geocode API, if you for example have a Canadian forum, and a member there have "London" as their location, the API will return London, UK, not London, Ontario, CA.
Instead of doing that, I set the default value of the search field to their location.

Automatically adding the members to the map using the location set in their profile? I did think about that myself, but I didn't like the idea of "stealing" it from the members without their consent.
And I don't trust Google's Geocode API, if you for example have a Canadian forum, and a member there have "London" as their location, the API will return London, UK, not London, Ontario, CA.

Im of the opinion if they have put their location on the forum in the first place, then all I am doing is representing that location in another way. I have however noticed the same problem as yourself with regards to locating places using the Geocode API.

Hm, it's not working for me if there are no entries.

There's no map on the membermap page.

JS Console Error:
memberMap.bounds is null

memberMap.map.setCenter( memberMap.bounds.getCenter() );

Some Feature Requests*g*

1. (AS already requested) View Permissions for the map
2. On click of the username, you show this window:
karte.webp
IMHO it would be better to show the membercard

3. Show on the userprofile also a small card in the sidebar with the distance viewing user - profile user

4. allow users to create "extra entries".
Make it possible to use this map for "everything" and not only user locations. (for example restaurant guide, doctors guide, etc...)

last but not least: you' using in all templates phrases, but you've forgotten to create a phrase for the sessionactivity in the controller;)
PHP:
    public static function getSessionActivityDetailsForList(array $activities)
    {
        return "Viewing Member Map";
    }

Some Feature Requests*g*

1. (AS already requested) View Permissions for the map
2. On click of the username, you show this window:
View attachment 15485
IMHO it would be better to show the membercard

3. Show on the userprofile also a small card in the sidebar with the distance viewing user - profile user

4. allow users to create "extra entries".
Make it possible to use this map for "everything" and not only user locations. (for example restaurant guide, doctors guide, etc...)
2. Is it possible to show the member card without the faded background, and have it attached to an element, like I can in IP.Board?
3. I'll look into that :) You mean like a polyline between locations, and the distance (trough air) between?
4. That'll be known as "custom markers". Will have to learn how to deal with ACP first before I attack that :)

last but not least: you' using in all templates phrases, but you've forgotten to create a phrase for the sessionactivity in the controller;)
PHP:
    public static function getSessionActivityDetailsForList(array $activities)
    {
        return "Viewing Member Map";
    }
Ahhh, yeah! I never really got that to work. No matter how I did it, it always showed that I was viewing the forum list. Think it has something to do with my route, but I can't see what's different between this, and other add-ons.
Or does the session class work on a per IP basis?

Ahhh, yeah! I never really got that to work. No matter how I did it, it always showed that I was viewing the forum list. Think it has something to do with my route, but I can't see what's different between this, and other add-ons.
Or does the session class work on a per IP basis?
Create a phrase and it should work;)
I'm not sure why, but if you use a string, it's not working, the method needs to return a phrase

Top Bottom