Not planned Media Pool

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

What I am missing in a lot of other BBS solutions is the ability to smart-manage the media content you potentially can upload. What I am looking for is a simple interface from where you can not just manage, but also select from and re-use the media content from the pool. Eh, yeah .. sounds complicated.

I am looking for a way to upload images, from any content type, cms, blog, profile, album, gallery, private msg, whatever is available and have this be re-usable in other content, such as another post, a profile image, an album, blog attachment, etc.

What I am also looking for is an interface in the manager that lets you tag content for easy searching.

And additionally, the ability for you to say: this is for my profile, that's for the gallery, and this mp3 is for the blog.

Going to a user their profile's gallery will list the gallery entries. Their profile images are helping customize the profile. And the same images could have been used a year earlier or whatever, as attachment to a post.

Re-use of your own content, for various content types. Without clutter. That would be awesome.

vBulletin 4 has a good start, but it's like a file manager. What I am looking for is a media manager that gives you an easy overview.

Even if you have a block full of scrollable content, just clicking on music will make the rest disappear and filter it on say .mp3. Clicking on albums however, will list the album images, sorted by their group. Drag/drop between these elements lets you remove, move, or edit their details.

Clicking on an image will just list the content types, allows you to the edit the title, description, filename, and properties. Such as tags or delete it, or select to show on albums, but not on blogs.

I wish I could mock up something as I have it in my mind, so it makes sense and does not sound so complicated.

But adding music, videos, images and other media to your social profile, a thread or a blog, should be normal, and having the ability to re-use the data would be bliss, and editing this data would help a lot too.

"Oh there was a thread about wallpapers, I've uploaded 5 of them. these 2 are awesome. Let's use 1 for my profile (and under profile customization i can set it as background) and the other one as my album (category: wallpapers) so I can collect other wallpapers in the future. "

Awesome.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'd really like to see this feature too, as I can already see how to fit it in with a modification I'll be having done for my site.

I personally almost never had the need to re-use any content on my vB powered platform. When Internet Brands released their Attachment Manager for exactly this purpose, I was unpleasantly surprised. My God... how could they release something like that? On the top of this list you will find my complaints: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure...&requestId=10218

I am not using vB4 (still zipped on my harddisk), but I would have disabled this Attachment Manager immediately when I had a live board with vB4. Totally overwhelming for new/novice/regular users.

I personally almost never had the need to re-use any content on my vB powered platform. When Internet Brands released their Attachment Manager for exactly this purpose, I was unpleasantly surprised. My God... how could they release something like that? On the top of this list you will find my complaints: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure...&requestId=10218

I am not using vB4 (still zipped on my harddisk), but I would have disabled this Attachment Manager immediately when I had a live board with vB4. Totally overwhelming for new/novice/regular users.

I can only really see it being used by a media-heavy site (Which mine is).

It would probably be better as a modification anyways, so that people wouldn't have to deal with the bloat.

It would probably be better as a modification anyways, so that people wouldn't have to deal with the bloat.

Me neither. I want xenForo's to offer an userexperience that is as simple and straightforward and intuitive as possible. In fact... it already accomplish this and I don't want it to go the 'vBulletin' way, which seems so bloated in comparison by now.

I don't think media reuse and ease of use are mutually exclusive. For an average forum, I would say that reuse is probably infrequent. It does probably come up more often if you start sharing that pool (or some other one) for CMS data, as it could potentially be used to quickly update multiple resources (think something like a logo). Obviously that particular usage isn't something we'd target right now. :)

I would be just fine if a link to uploaded content (pics, vids, etc) could be used in other places.

They could find the uploaded content of interest and grab a link, then post that link. I believe you may already have that in place.

vBulletin 4 has a good start, but it's like a file manager. What I am looking for is a media manager that gives you an easy overview.

I though the VB4 asset manager was going to do this, but only realized recently that it was more of a file manager. I would like to see a media manager in XF. Hopefully such a thing will be created if a media gallery is released.

Top Bottom