MG 2.1 Media in reverse order?

frm

I upload my files like:
  • file-01.jpg
  • file-02.jpg
  • file-03.jpg
Then I title them and make a description in story format. But when they are finally added to the gallery, it goes in reverse order (03, 02, 01) so the story can't be followed. Is there a way to make it reverse order or at least change it to ?order=media_date&direction=asc (without the filter applied)?

Why not just reverse the order you number them, r change the order you upload them?
That doesn't even make logical sense. Cameras take pictures in sequence from beginning to end and number accordingly. Unless you can post edit export from Lightroom in reverse order, renumbering 100, 200, 300 files would be a headache unless scripted to do so externally (bash, make copy, rename). And even if you renamed them for the sole purpose of XFMG, it'd be ludicrous to.keep it that way locally.

Why not order in the fashion cameras were designed to do in the beginning?

CAM001.JPG should be shown before CAM002.JPG in the media gallery, as it is, by default, organized by name in every file manager known to man unless specifically stated to organize by date or size. I shouldn't have to rename CAM002 to CAM003 to rename CAM001 to CAM002 and then CAM003 to CAM001 in order to be displayed in the order they were taken.

There has to be a better way than filtering by date. Or, there should be a logical explanation as to why they're in reverse order because it just seems like the wheel was reinvented.

But, hey, some gamers like inverted controls while others don't. At least game manufacturers realize that and set an option per controller. As an admin, creating the media gallery, I should have that control.

Just my opinion...

i agree with this, i made a suggestion years ago, i cant find it now,

its really annoying when the order is backwards, especially when the pictures are supposed to be in order,

i tried renaming them and its takes forever, especially when you got like 200 photos in one album!

and it still doesn't work well,

there should be an option in the admin panel on how you want the uploaded files to be uploaded

i would choose,

and when you upload new photos to the album, the new photos go at the end

Last edited:
here you go i found it,

they put "lack of interest"

the way xenforo handles suggestions here is terrible,

most suggestions here are lost after a while, no one is going to go digging for suggestions,
putting suggestions in threads is a terrible way to do things

they should have an add-on , like my idea add-on, and link the suggestion to the thread, so multiple threads arent made

Last edited:
Reactions: frm
here you go i found it,

they put "lack of interest"

the way xenforo handles suggestions here is terrible,

most suggestions here are lost after a while, no one is going to go digging for suggestions,
putting suggestions in threads is a terrible way to do things

they should have an add-on , like my idea add-on, and link the suggestion to the thread, so multiple threads arent made

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this over the past 2-3 years. XFMG might not be the most used by photographers creating "stories". However, with Facebook Stories (and other social media outlet "stories" features) released, this suggestion should be revisited.

Like to support:

that's because the media gallery is fairly new and wasn't used much by large forums in the past

it's recently that ive started noticing it more and more on large forums,

it's getting better but still lacks of features such as being able to upload directly from a thread

i added a "upload media" button within every thread, and now my users are using the media gallery daily, theres no need for attachments feature anymore

I can see the point of showing newest photos first when viewing alerts or clicking on top level folders, but it would be great to have a default album view option to show albums in either ascending name or date/time order.

You need to like the first post of the thread to show your support for the suggestion, that is how the developers gauge interest in suggestions.

Reactions: frm
I agree, it is annoying to have to upload in reverse order. If there was a way to rearrange order while viewing the album, maybe some drag and drop, that would also work for me.

I can see the point of showing newest photos first when viewing alerts or clicking on top level folders, but it would be great to have a default album view option to show albums in either ascending name or date/time order.
I agree, it is annoying to have to upload in reverse order. If there was a way to rearrange order while viewing the album, maybe some drag and drop, that would also work for me.
You must like the first post in the thread below as this thread was a question/support to try and see if I was doing something wrong or if there was a hidden setting to affix ?order=media_date&direction=asc to galleries (however, that wouldn't work either). So if you agree with this being a feature, visit the thread below and give it a like.

Top Bottom