Fixed media gallery wrong orientation

craigForo

Affected version
In the media gallery, when uploading pictures, if a picture is not oriented correctly it will show on the album cover thumbnail view wrong, even when edited to correctly display in the album.

Attachments

• Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 7
I think if you rebuild album thumbnails then you'll find this resolves itself.

Can you explain "even when edited to correctly display in the album"? What exactly did you do to edit it? I assume it was showing incorrectly in the album at some point?

The rebuild did correct it.

When I created the album I had a few pictures that were horizontal and not vertical. I edited those that were wrong and made them vertical. It never updated on the thumbnail of the album cover, Till now.

So not a bug.

Not sure. I think there could still be a bug here. We should rebuild the album thumbnail if you modify the images within.

Btw you might want to look at enabling EXIF functions within PHP. That will handle the orientation of images automatically from the metadata stored within the images.

It’s a set of PHP functions. You may need to ask your host to enable them or they can sometimes be enabled through your hosting control panel.

I can replicate it here to a certain degree. I created an album with one image on its side, the thumbnail showed accordingly. I went in and edited the image so it was correctly oriented, saved it. Then went back to album and it still showed image sideways. I went and added another image (have since deleted it) and it forced the thumbnail on the album cover to correct.

I will have to try the other issue at home, and that is an image that was edited prior to uploading, and it uploaded to what it was prior to editing.

Weird.

The issue in the bug report has been confirmed so we don’t need to do any further testing on that.

If you’re uploading images and some are rotated and you have EXIF functions enabled then it likely just means the photo doesn’t contain the necessary EXIF data to indicate that it is rotated. Nothing that can be done about that other than rotating the image (as you have already done).

So we just need to fix the bug that doesn’t update the album thumbnail and that should sort it.

Top Bottom