MG 2.0 Media Gallery Photo History

With VB/Photopost, all members could always see all photos from everyone, at any given time.

This was great for our community of DIY helpers who rely on this daily.

However with this new media gallery, it was only set to show the last 30 days of photos, which is worthless to us, with 2 million photos dating back over a decade.

When I update the settings to show all photos from the last 5000 days, it shows everything, but the gallery slows down drastically.

Making photos not visible from a certain date does not work for us, how do we resolve this issue?

Thank you.

You can view all of the items if you go into a specific category listing, but the main index page is limited due to this issue
Also, when we tested this over the weekend, when the gallery was limited to a certain number of days, each individual member gallery only showed photos up to that specific date range. So this statement may not be altogether true, unfortunately. Hoping to sort out all of these random issues we are going through since the migration, it's been a living nightmare honestly. I am so worn out and only halfway there.

Thank you Jake.

Xenforo, what is being done to resolve this bug?

Thank you.
There isn’t a bug. I’m not quite seeing your point.

Is there often a need for your users to browse through to page 5000 of your gallery? Or any reason, if they do, they can't click the show older link?

1521493473723.webp

What you're doing by setting it to 5000 days, is you're slowing the entire gallery down for everyone, when in reality they're not going to be navigating beyond the first few pages.

To solve the performance issue, you will need to set the number of days to something reasonable. Keep tuning it down until the performance issue goes away. 365 is reasonable for most extremely busy galleries and if there's a need to navigate to a much older page, the "Show older items" link will do that.

There's of course the search system to find something more specific.

Is there often a need for your users to browse through to page 5000 of your gallery? Or any reason, if they do, they can't click the show older link?
Yes. Our gallery is our museum, our archives, our historical record of our 25 year long mission.

These photos are of beautiful things we all share a common love for, and thousands of people view them daily.

Here are a couple reasons off the top of my head, but not limited to:

1. SEO
2. Browsing leisurely through thousands of photos at random
3. Members interested in viewing the oldest photos first and working their way forward
4. Researching a member's gallery images from 5 years ago, because they are a mentor
5. It worked in 20 year old PhotoPost, it should work here too.
6. Many reasons that we are unaware of

There's of course the search system to find something more specific.

That was a problem as well, because when I had it limited, I could not search past that limit date either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom