Maximum Smilie Size

Phillip

We’re planning on moving from a vBulletin 3.x forum and have smilies of various widths and heights. I noticed the default smilies here are all 18x18 pixels.

1. What is the largest smilies can be without incurring an increase in line spacing… 20 pixels or 21 pixels?

2. Also if the smilies are at slightly different widths will this cause any alignment issues?

3. On a similar note, can a slightly larger font easily be used for message text allowing for larger smilies?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regarding point 1, you can easily increase the font and/or line size to accommodate larger smilies if required. The default line height is 1.27 but that can be changed as you wish.

What do you mean by alignment issues for different width smilies? They are displayed inline in the the text so the width is irrelevant.

The fonts used throughout the forum can be easily changed using Style Properties.

Every single aspect of the style can be customised quickly and easily in the ACP.

1. What is the largest smilies can be without incurring an increase in line spacing… 20 pixels or 21 pixels?

2. Also if the smilies are at slightly different widths will this cause any alignment issues?

1. I find that 10 - 20 px is the max without breaking line spacing.
2. No.

What do you mean by alignment issues for different width smilies? They are displayed inline in the the text so the width is irrelevant.

For example, I was thinking about the smilie drop down box. How would the alignment there appear? So if smilies had varying widths would they be centered or left-justified in the drop down box.

Yes, I agree as far as the post. Differing widths would usually not change anything.

As brogan stated, you can compensate the line formatting by either adjusting the font size to accommodate smilies of different sizes. With regards to the width, not sure how this can be an issue unless that custom pack of smilies are a set size but the canvas they are in exceeds the size of the smiley giving off space. Normally, you wouldn't have this problem, designers normally create a set sized smiley roughly around the size of the canvas they are working upon.

Width issues are very far and few in between. They should never occurr. Here's an example of a width issue
3531dmg.png
<< this smiley originally at 24px by 24px is now 300px by 24px.But why would I set the canvas at 300px when the smiley is only 24px in width? causing unnecessary
3531dmg.png
width issues. If at anytime you get width issues it won't be with the product but with the
3531dmg.png
actual design of the smilies and occur with any software. In short, that would be a design issue with the image not the product. If I read your post correctly.

For example, I was thinking about the smilie drop down box. So if smilies had varying widths would they be centered or left-justified in the drop down box.

The arrangement currently (and this would apply to most software) if your using smilies that differ in widths they won't be aligned because there are width differences. Let's say I use a smiley in the dropdown menu and it's 24px in width and it just so happens I have another smiley that's 48px which is directly under it you'll most likely get spacing issues. I've seen this problem alot with the smiley selector where users use different sized smilies and it ranges through scores of products.

My previous post relates to the thinking that I thought you meant within posts.

For example, I was thinking about the smilie drop down box. How would the alignment there appear? So if smilies had varying widths would they be centered or left-justified in the drop down box.
Currently the smilies are displayed in a table but there is an open bug report related to that so it may be changed to use div's.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/smilies-drop-down.12384/

Unless the smilies are vastly different in width then generally they look fine.

smilies.webp

Top Bottom