1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maximum attachment size

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Mike Hollis, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Mike Hollis

Mike Hollis Member

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a setting for maximum file size for attachments, I have set CP > Options > Attachments > Maximum Attachment File Size to 512000 to allow for world backups for Minecraft and such to be put up whenever we re-render the world, I'm just curios if there's something other than this setting that might be interfering with this?

Currently what happens is the file uploads all the way up to 100% then never appears in the attachment directory. other attachments are working properly, such as screenshots, is there some other component I'm missing?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You will need to increase the php limits if you're going to allow 500MB files.

3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The log might contain a more detailed error to clarify what the problem is:

Admin CP -> Tools -> Server Error Log

But Brogan is right. If you want to upload 500MB files then you will undoubtedly need to adjust your server settings. Here are some server settings that might be limiting:

PHP:
    max_execution_time
    memory_limit
    post_max_size
    upload_max_filesize

MySQL:
    max_allowed_packet
    max_packet_size
    wait_timeout

The attachment system isn't ideal for large files like this.

Eagle likes this.
  4. Mike Hollis

Mike Hollis Member

Thank you both very much I'll take a look at this, Just out of curiosity, what would you consider the maximum recommended attachment size if just Xenforo was considered?

5. Jake Bunce

2MB is within the limits of most web hosts. In practice I have seen forums with attachments as large as 50MB, but then you have to increase the server limits.

6. Mike Hollis

Mike Hollis Member

I got it working, thanks for your help, one other question though, I'm probably overlooking it somewhere, should I need to, where is the ability to delete attachments?

7. Jake Bunce