MaxCDN experience?

The Dark Wizard

I use softlayer's CDN service, and we pay a few cents as we go a month, it's like 12 cents per gb and we use about a GB every month for our collection of images and sort on the site.

However I was looking at MaxCDN because it seems to be a few cents cheaper(Not that I care about that) but what really caught my eye is their server locations and their panel, for statistics and all that good stuff.

It seems I have to pay 40 dollars for 1TB(That I will not use) and talking with a sales rep, I have to pay 70 dollars after that for another TB.

Yet I've seen users here somewhere state that they pay as they go, instead of getting that bulk TB.

Can I actually just pay for what I use or do I have to get that TB?

You have to buy the first TB at $39.95 then as you use more you pay me - "Pay as you go" However that TB is good for a year. So if you pay the $40, you've got a year to use 1TB of CDN services.

From the sounds of it, you're better off with Softlayer or a CDN service that sells it by the GB.

You have to buy the first TB at $39.95 then as you use more you pay me - "Pay as you go" However that TB is good for a year. So if you pay the $40, you've got a year to use 1TB of CDN services.

From the sounds of it, you're better off with Softlayer or a CDN service that sells it by the GB.
It seems like it, I was interested in the MaxCDN panel though, where I can add multiple users etc, it sucks that one of us can only clear things from the CDN cache.

MaxCDN says pay as you go, but you have to get a TB even after the first TB.

Maybe I'm doing funny math or don't understand, but MaxCDN is cheaper

Max CDN $39.95 for 1 TB

softlayer $0.12 per GB x 1000 GB (1 TB) = $120.00

Save $80.05 with Max CDN. Problem?

edit: even after your next TB ($70) you're still saving $50

He doesn't use a TB.

1GB per month x 12 months = 12GB per year.

12x.12 = 1.44 for a year of CDN hosting.

His site would need to see exponential growth to make use of the cheaper MaxCDN rates.

He doesn't use a TB.

1GB per month x 12 months = 12GB per year.

12x.12 = 1.44 for a year of CDN hosting.

His site would need to see exponential growth to make use of the cheaper MaxCDN rates.
Yup, we use a CDN to increase page speeds for our members over seas, we are just a small RP community, I'm just using a CDN because it's cheap and a lot of people are actually really happy with the difference + plus the fact our stuff is on an ssd . . .

Well I would never be able to make sure of MaxCDN's 1Tb, I would only use their service if I could do it on a case by case basis where it charges me exactly what I use, not have me prebuy an entire TB that I will never use.

Softlayer uses EdgeCast which is vastly superior to MaxCDN. MaxCDN gave me worse performance over serving content directly from our server.

I've used a lot of CDNs... EdgeCast is very close to Akamai in performance, sometimes beating it.

have you tried cloudflare.com?
I am using it for my websites and at least for me zero issues with superb performance.
By the way, it is free and not only CDN but a lot more than that.

Top Bottom