1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MaxCDN experience?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Dark Wizard, Sep 27, 2012.

1. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

I use softlayer's CDN service, and we pay a few cents as we go a month, it's like 12 cents per gb and we use about a GB every month for our collection of images and sort on the site.

However I was looking at MaxCDN because it seems to be a few cents cheaper(Not that I care about that) but what really caught my eye is their server locations and their panel, for statistics and all that good stuff.

It seems I have to pay 40 dollars for 1TB(That I will not use) and talking with a sales rep, I have to pay 70 dollars after that for another TB.

Yet I've seen users here somewhere state that they pay as they go, instead of getting that bulk TB.

Can I actually just pay for what I use or do I have to get that TB?
  2. David_

David_ Active Member

You have to buy the first TB at $39.95 then as you use more you pay me - "Pay as you go" However that TB is good for a year. So if you pay the $40, you've got a year to use 1TB of CDN services.

From the sounds of it, you're better off with Softlayer or a CDN service that sells it by the GB.
  3. The Dark Wizard

It seems like it, I was interested in the MaxCDN panel though, where I can add multiple users etc, it sucks that one of us can only clear things from the CDN cache.

MaxCDN says pay as you go, but you have to get a TB even after the first TB.
  4. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm doing funny math or don't understand, but MaxCDN is cheaper

Max CDN $39.95 for 1 TB

softlayer $0.12 per GB x 1000 GB (1 TB) = $120.00

Save $80.05 with Max CDN. Problem?

edit: even after your next TB ($70) you're still saving $50
  5. David_

David_ Active Member

He doesn't use a TB.

1GB per month x 12 months = 12GB per year.

12x.12 = 1.44 for a year of CDN hosting.

His site would need to see exponential growth to make use of the cheaper MaxCDN rates.
  6. The Dark Wizard

Yup, we use a CDN to increase page speeds for our members over seas, we are just a small RP community, I'm just using a CDN because it's cheap and a lot of people are actually really happy with the difference + plus the fact our stuff is on an ssd . . .

Well I would never be able to make sure of MaxCDN's 1Tb, I would only use their service if I could do it on a case by case basis where it charges me exactly what I use, not have me prebuy an entire TB that I will never use.
  7. x3sphere

x3sphere Active Member

Softlayer uses EdgeCast which is vastly superior to MaxCDN. MaxCDN gave me worse performance over serving content directly from our server.

I've used a lot of CDNs... EdgeCast is very close to Akamai in performance, sometimes beating it.
  8. Shakir

Shakir Member

have you tried cloudflare.com?
    I am using it for my websites and at least for me zero issues with superb performance.
    By the way, it is free and not only CDN but a lot more than that.