max_user_connections error

upnet

About once a day I have been getting this error:
Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli_Exception:User 'upnet' has exceeded the 'max_user_connections' resource (current value: 10) -library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php:333
Generated By: Unknown Account,Wednesday at 2:33 PM
My host has said this
The problem isn't the 10 connection limit, Xenforo guys don't know what is really happening, your connection limit is being limited to 10 because your MySQL queries are reading/writing to the database server at 120MB/s to 200MB/s . Let them know that and grant them access to your account so they can offer a better solution about optimizing their software. You can even open a new ticket and add their support email to the ticket so the 3 can have a conversation and we can explain the technical issues in detailed.
They had me optimize the search table in my database but I knew that wouldn't help.

My site is 1 year old. The DB is 2gb. I have about 350 users online average.

Any ideas how I can explain to the host what I need to run my site as it continues to grow and with it obviously the DB.

I would advise switching hosts if that is their response.

The limit needs to be increased, there is no way around that.

Thanks for response again Brogan. They also said these below quotes. I would like to advise them what I need for my site to run without error. It seems they are convinced that increasing that limit won't work. Below they say something about the monitoring system limiting the connections. Short of just leaving them is there some way I can advise them on what to do to be able to continue to host my site?

The problem is that when the internal monitoring system detect that your databases are having a high input/output activity, it limits the number of connections to 10, to avoid new connections from generating more input/output activity.​

This is not about the server not being able to handle your application's load, but your application hitting CloudLinux limits.

Unfortunately that won't solve the root of the issue, which is your account having an unusually high database IO throughput.

The 10 connection limit is enough most of the time, as the connection is opened and closed in a fraction of a second, supporting a high amount of concurrent page hits.​

Resource usage will naturally increase as the site gets busier.

There is nothing we can do to alter the behaviour of the software.

I would just be looking to switch hosts if they have such a system in place.

I have told them the software is fine and that so many much larger forums exist without issue. I would think there is something they don't understand as to what I need and how they can provide that. I just don't know how to convey it to them. I suppose you are saying Brogan that their inability to figure out a solution shows they aren't a good hosting solution for a growing forum.

They have proposed that I add another account and move the mysql to another VPS just to host the database. Is this ok to try?

10 connections is the problem, and it's a very low limit at that.

If you are really reading and writing at 120MB/s to 200MB/s (which is honestly very doubtful), then you are way beyond shared hosting, and probably even a VPS. There are very few hosts who are going to let a single user read or write at 200MB/s regularly, even on a VPS.

Are they by chance using CloudLinux, do you know? I.e. is there a place within cPanel where you can see the resource usage? That should show you the disk i/o for your account.

10 connections is the problem, and it's a very low limit at that.

If you are really reading and writing at 120MB/s to 200MB/s (which is honestly very doubtful), then you are way beyond shared hosting, and probably even a VPS. There are very few hosts who are going to let a single user read or write at 200MB/s regularly, even on a VPS.

Are they by chance using CloudLinux, do you know? I.e. is there a place within cPanel where you can see the resource usage? That should show you the disk i/o for your account.
It is CloudLinux - they said:
This is not about the server not being able to handle your application's load, but your application hitting CloudLinux limits.
I can't find a log of the i/o usage in the cpanel. It used to be under resources but in the last month or two it changed. I can see the current i/o usage but no log. Any idea where I find it?

As stated I would be looking for another host but that is just my 2 cents on the matter.If you have 350 users online at a time you are pretty much above shared hosting standards. Most shared hosts can't handle that much. I'm no hosting expert but from the sounds of it it's time to shop around for a new host, better host, or a dedicated server.

It is CloudLinux - they said:
This is not about the server not being able to handle your application's load, but your application hitting CloudLinux limits.​

This is all completely true. Their limits are just too low.
I can't find a log of the i/o usage in the cpanel. It used to be under resources but in the last month or two it changed. I can see the current i/o usage but no log. Any idea where I find it?

No...that's where it should be...under "Resource Usage" in the "Logs" section of cPanel. You should be able to get a log for anywhere from the past 10 minutes to the past 30 days.

resourcesnothere.webp My cpanel used to look like that but now it looks like this and there is no resource manager or logs

One thing to note is that I haven't had the max_connection error since Wednesday and it does only occur about once per day and I haven't noticed anything or had any feedback about it working poorly. In general it seems to run great. My concern is more going forward as my database and user numbers are growing consistently. I want to be prepared!

Looks like if anything, the CPU usage is what's high (and of course, that's an arbitrary number they set). Your disk i/o is quite low. I don't see anywhere that you would be reading/writing to anything at 200MB/s. They definitely aren't referring to bandwidth, because the numbers don't back that.

I'm honestly thoroughly confused by what they are saying. None of it makes sense, except the connections limit, which you are definitely hitting, hence the error message in your first post.

Yes an I asked them months ago about the CPU resource being consistently at 60-100% and they said don't worry about it. From what they are saying the high I/O is causing their softwatre to limit it to 10. I don't know anything about what they are using or how that all works. And at this point it seems like maybe they don't either. To make it more confusing my site is running great. As I said I know it's going to grow and they seemingly don't have the ability to increase the resources I need moving forward. I'm not even sure what exactly I have with them at this point. It's cheap and it's working well I know that, just the occassional error worries me and their inability to resolve it even more.

No...this just doesn't make sense. I suppose the numbers could be off in your panel (the liklihood of that being the case is almost zero), but I just don't see anything where disk i/o is the problem. You're using around 1 MB/sec. on average, from what I can gather from those graphs, with the occassional spike, but it's not anything that is out of the ordinary or ridiculously high.

I would show them the graph (specifically the i/o graph) and numbers you posted, and ask them where they are coming up with their 100 MB/sec. to 200 MB/sec., because I'm not seeing it.

Top Bottom