1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max character limit for thread titles

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Luxus, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

There is an option for the max character limit in posts in the ACP, but I can't seem to find an option in the ACP that lets you specify the amount of allowed characters in thread titles. I know that it isn't unlimited, so where is the setting? Is it hardcoded?

2. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

AFAIK it's hard-coded.

3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

library/XenForo/DataWriter/Discussion.php

Code:
    	protected function _getCommonFields()
    	{
    		$structure = $this->_discussionDefinition->getDiscussionStructure();

return array(
    			$structure['table'] => array(
    				$structure['key']        => array('type' => self::TYPE_UINT, 'autoIncrement' => true),
    				$structure['container']  => array('type' => self::TYPE_UINT, 'required' => true),
    				'title'                  => array('type' => self::TYPE_STRING, 'required' => true, 'maxLength' => 100,
    					'verification' => array('$this', '_verifyTitle'), 'requiredError' => 'please_enter_valid_title'
    				),
    				'reply_count'            => array('type' => self::TYPE_UINT_FORCED, 'default' => 0),
    				'view_count'             => array('type' => self::TYPE_UINT_FORCED, 'default' => 0),

And you also need to change the table definition for xf_thread in the database. You need to extend the length of the title column.

Jarod and Luxus like this.
  4. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

Thanks Jake. Ever since I moved away from myBB I decided I wouldn't touch any core files in forum software anymore. I'm going to stick with the hardcoded limit for now.

5. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Well it can be made into an addon by extending the datawriter.

6. pankaj2345

pankaj2345 Member

thank you very much for this help :)

7. pankaj2345

pankaj2345 Member