math reasoning

Jake Bunce

Math geeks raise your hand.
wavey.gif

I am an aspiring math teacher. Here is an inspirational video that I have been pushing on people since I discovered it:

http://www.wimp.com/mathbooks/

In short, he talks about how our math curriculum doesn't teach students the value of math reasoning.

*runs screaming*.....

I need some of that reasoning though, maths was never a strong point I have to say.

I used to teach math in my previous job. A two week course that covered everything from basic math to 1st year college. Without saying, it was a fast paced course.

That's awesome - thanks for sharing the link. I'm not an aspiring math teacher, or a math geek even, but I do have 2 young children who we 'unschool' and in doing so we find that math is very much a part of our everyday conversations. Would be nice to see some of that kind of comfort level with math, science and the other 'hard' subjects become greater for more people - kids and adults alike.

Excellent presentation, and very VERY accurate. This is one of the reasons Susan and I home school, because the way the current education system in the US attempts to turn education into a mass production assembly simply doesn't work, at least in a lot of cases. One of our kids (both highly intelligent, but with TOTALLY different focuses) would skate through and burn out from boredom as he's VERY logical, and learns exceeding well when just given a book about a subject, the other would likely be labeled ADHD as she simply is too much of a multi-tasker to sit in a desk and focus on a single topic for 40 minutes at a time.

We use "Unschooling" which is kind of like Montessori on steroids :). The results have been excellent, and both kids LOVE to ask questions and talk about topics of all different "grade" levels. They are also both hugely articulate, and totally at home interacting with other people of whatever age.

Excellent presentation, and very VERY accurate. This is one of the reasons Susan and I home school, because the way the current education system in the US attempts to turn education into a mass production assembly simply doesn't work, at least in a lot of cases. One of our kids (both highly intelligent, but with TOTALLY different focuses) would skate through and burn out from boredom as he's VERY logical, and learns exceeding well when just given a book about a subject, the other would likely be labeled ADHD as she simply is too much of a multi-tasker to sit in a desk and focus on a single topic for 40 minutes at a time.

We use "Unschooling" which is kind of like Montessori on steroids :). The results have been excellent, and both kids LOVE to ask questions and talk about topics of all different "grade" levels. They are also both hugely articulate, and totally at home interacting with other people of whatever age.
That's one of the reasons I was home-schooled by my mom for a few years. The school system here in Florida is completely broken, but the school board thinks that one of the reasons kids are failing is not enough schooling so they cut summer down and add longer class periods (alternating schedules of a class for an hour and a have for 3 classes a day is one of the most frustrating/tiring things I've done when it comes to learning). Toss on most teachers don't understand how to handle a "gifted" student and it gets very ugly when it comes to learning and trying to see good results.

I digress though, but I will say I loved math in middle school. I've lost it since then and my eyes get glossy if you throw too much at me. :(

This is super interesting to me, going to have to talk to you both about it, as my son is just not being challenged at all at school.. but with the Asperger's they (dept of Ed) have been very anti home schooling when I have raised it with them due to the lack of socialization, and yet my son is very comfortable talking with people of all ages.. but he doesn't like his peers very much lol.

He used to be great at maths, but someone somewhere along the line has convinced him he is not very good.. we have been working really hard on his confidence and belief in his own knowledge.. and it is paying off his last maths test he got 100% ... But argh.. really annoys me what they have done over the years to my bright spark. >_<

I digress though, but I will say I loved math in middle school. I've lost it since then and my eyes get glossy if you throw too much at me. :(

And THAT is a tragedy. The key to education is finding what the student really loves and using THAT avenue to cover other things. If you can teach a child HOW to learn, and to enjoy doing it, then... All you have to do is give them the right time, tools and assistance when they ask for it. Other than that, just get out of their way!

Kids are hardwired to learn when they are little, consider what an incredible job they do as babies just decoding language!

And THAT is a tragedy. The key to education is finding what the student really loves and using THAT avenue to cover other things. If you can teach a child HOW to learn, and to enjoy doing it, then... All you have to do is give them the right time, tools and assistance when they ask for it. Other than that, just get out of their way!

Kids are hardwired to learn when they are little, consider what an incredible job they do as babies just decoding language!

Yup, and my mom taught me using all the senses I was born with. Can't tell you how much I read books willingly (still do), went to museums of all kinds be it art or historic, traveled to places like the zoo to see animals of all kinds. I mean, as a kid I grew up watching the Discover channel and cartoons. My interests varied greatly and I started to figure out what I really liked but eventually those feelings dies out when I entered high school. But I think we're veering off here, perhaps a new thread or PC is in order? :p

The only math I can probably deal with is trigonometry and I'm not even sure about that. I'm sure I could learn if I had an awesome teacher but those are too far and few. :(

Top Bottom