Massive Cyber Attack discovered: Red October

Digital Doctor

Incredible story.
A Must read.
_64938492_security.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21013087

There are far more worse things out there yet to be discovered.

Imagine a computer virus which acts like a human virus. Able to upload its self via firmware to anything and everything connected to a computer. So if you were to simply swap something as small and as harmless as a computer mouse with another computer, that computer would be infected. If you connected that computer to a network everything within that network would also be infected. Any "connection" would lead to infection.

I love Kaspersky :love:

Their products and services, including the individuals behind their customer service & support, along with their developing team are friendly, easy to communicate with and helpful. Kaspersky Lab has been my prime choice for software security of my computer, network, and server security since 2000 (10 years and still loving it).

Wouldnt at all surprise me if we dont one day hear about a chip producer having something like this built into the firmware. It's a massive power to have access to the worlds computers. Imagine for instance, someone at Foxconn getting a bit of firmware into all those iOS devices. The entire world could be spied on.

Wouldnt at all surprise me if we dont one day hear about a chip producer having something like this built into the firmware. It's a massive power to have access to the worlds computers. Imagine for instance, someone at Foxconn getting a bit of firmware into all those iOS devices. The entire world could be spied on.
Sounds like a great movie !
And could have a grain of truth.

In America, hackers are jailed. In China, they get good jobs.
I guess we can see who is winning the cyber wars.

Wouldnt at all surprise me if we dont one day hear about a chip producer

Chip, OS, other hardware...

If you want something safe, don't put it on your computer... and at the very least, don't network it to the internet.

I was working on corporate software which was going out to many UK schools allowing exam papers, exam results and children's personal information to be "easily" accessed by the schools ... what a bad idea. If it's sensitive, keep it safe, don't network it for "ease of access" and then cry when someone eventually discovers a way in

Your bios / cmos uses firmware. ;)

Sounds like a great movie !
And could have a grain of truth.

In America, hackers are jailed. In China, they get good jobs.
I guess we can see who is winning the cyber wars.
Like the hacker who broke the pentagon and then got a job in the pentagon? The US does that too. They aren't that stupid in their regard, if they can break easily your security, you need them

Top Bottom