1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive Cyber Attack discovered: Red October

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Digital Doctor, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

2. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

There are far more worse things out there yet to be discovered.

Imagine a computer virus which acts like a human virus. Able to upload its self via firmware to anything and everything connected to a computer. So if you were to simply swap something as small and as harmless as a computer mouse with another computer, that computer would be infected. If you connected that computer to a network everything within that network would also be infected. Any "connection" would lead to infection.
  3. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Adam Howard likes this.
  4. Adam Howard

I love Kaspersky :love:

Their products and services, including the individuals behind their customer service & support, along with their developing team are friendly, easy to communicate with and helpful. Kaspersky Lab has been my prime choice for software security of my computer, network, and server security since 2000 (10 years and still loving it).
  5. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Wouldnt at all surprise me if we dont one day hear about a chip producer having something like this built into the firmware. It's a massive power to have access to the worlds computers. Imagine for instance, someone at Foxconn getting a bit of firmware into all those iOS devices. The entire world could be spied on.
  6. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great movie !
    And could have a grain of truth.

In America, hackers are jailed. In China, they get good jobs.
    I guess we can see who is winning the cyber wars.
    BlackJacket likes this.
  7. tenants

tenants Well-Known Member

Chip, OS, other hardware...

If you want something safe, don't put it on your computer... and at the very least, don't network it to the internet.

I was working on corporate software which was going out to many UK schools allowing exam papers, exam results and children's personal information to be "easily" accessed by the schools ... what a bad idea. If it's sensitive, keep it safe, don't network it for "ease of access" and then cry when someone eventually discovers a way in
  8. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

Fixed that for ya ;-)

Lucas, Adam Howard and tenants like this.
  9. tenants

tenants Well-Known Member

:D So true...

It you want it leaked, let them share it with the world by losing it on a fob stick or accidently tweeting it out
  10. Adam Howard

Your bios / cmos uses firmware. ;)
  11. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Adam Howard likes this.
  12. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

Like the hacker who broke the pentagon and then got a job in the pentagon? The US does that too. They aren't that stupid in their regard, if they can break easily your security, you need them