Mass Email Failed.

jonsidneyb

I tried to send a mass email to my members.

This appeared on the screen after during the second batch of 200. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get this mailing out?

An exception occurred: Mysqli prepare error: MySQL server has gone away in /home/edcf/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 77
  1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
  4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 825
  5. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchOne() in XenForo/Error.php at line 50
  6. XenForo_Error::unexpectedException() in XenForo/Application.php at line 295
  7. XenForo_Application::handleException()

Best recommendation here would be to extend the wait_timeout variable in MySQL (via your my.cnf), since you said you're on a dedicated server.

Best recommendation here would be to extend the wait_timeout variable in MySQL (via your my.cnf), since you said you're on a dedicated server.

After talking to the host they said I should try again.

It got to 800 of 31k before failing.

Here is the message I got.

Hello Mr. Burlison,

OK, there are two common reasons for this error (both MySQL settings). One is the wait_timeout too low and the other is the max_allowed_packet is to low. Your wait_timeout is already 28800 seconds, so that seems plenty high. The max_allowed_packet is set to 16M and the suggestions in the Xenforo forums is 32M.

We tried it again after it had been increased to 32M

I was able to get this to work when I first moved to XenForo.

An exception occurred: Mysqli prepare error: MySQL server has gone away in /home/edcf/public_html/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 77
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
  4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 825
  5. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchOne() in XenForo/Error.php at line 50
  6. XenForo_Error::unexpectedException() in XenForo/Application.php at line 295
  7. XenForo_Application::handleException()

Looking at the back trace more closely, this is certainly a strange issue. Significantly, that error should never happen: it should always be suppressed. More strangely, there's other code from earlier that I think is successfully suppressing that error.

But really, this is masking a more specific error.

Can you open library/XenForo/Error.php and replace this code:

Code:
        $upgradePending = false;
        try
        {
            $db = XenForo_Application::getDb();
            if ($db->isConnected())
            {
                $dbVersionId = $db->fetchOne("SELECT option_value FROM xf_option WHERE option_id = 'currentVersionId'");
                if ($dbVersionId && $dbVersionId != XenForo_Application::$versionId)
                {
                    $upgradePending = true;
                }
            }
        }
        catch (Exception $e) {}

With:
Code:
$upgradePending = false;
And try sending again. It should give more details.

Looking at the back trace more closely, this is certainly a strange issue. Significantly, that error should never happen: it should always be suppressed. More strangely, there's other code from earlier that I think is successfully suppressing that error.

But really, this is masking a more specific error.

Can you open library/XenForo/Error.php and replace this code:

Code:
        $upgradePending = false;
        try
        {
            $db = XenForo_Application::getDb();
            if ($db->isConnected())
            {
                $dbVersionId = $db->fetchOne("SELECT option_value FROM xf_option WHERE option_id = 'currentVersionId'");
                if ($dbVersionId && $dbVersionId != XenForo_Application::$versionId)
                {
                    $upgradePending = true;
                }
            }
        }
        catch (Exception $e) {}

With:
Code:
$upgradePending = false;
And try sending again. It should give more details.

It failed at around 1200 this time. This is the information it sent back.

4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in XenForo/Model.php at line 218
  5. XenForo_Model->fetchAllKeyed() in XenForo/Model/AdminNavigation.php at line 31
  6. XenForo_Model_AdminNavigation->getAdminNavigationEntries() in XenForo/Model/AdminNavigation.php at line 405
  7. XenForo_Model_AdminNavigation->getAdminNavigationForDisplay() in XenForo/Dependencies/Admin.php at line 222
  8. XenForo_Dependencies_Admin->_getNavigationContainerParams() in XenForo/Dependencies/Admin.php at line 200
  9. XenForo_Dependencies_Admin->getEffectiveContainerParams() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 563
  10. XenForo_FrontController->renderView() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 156
  11. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/edcf/public_html/admin.php at line 13

Well, that is almost certainly a wait_timeout thing, as it would happen after the last batch of emails. You can use this query to verify your wait_timeout in MySQL;
Code:
show variables like 'wait_timeout';

Finding this line in library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/User.php:
Code:
$perPage = 100;
And changing it to:
Code:
$perPage = 50;
Would probably help too.

Well, that is almost certainly a wait_timeout thing, as it would happen after the last batch of emails. You can use this query to verify your wait_timeout in MySQL;
Code:
show variables like 'wait_timeout';

Finding this line in library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/User.php:
Code:
$perPage = 100;
And changing it to:
Code:
$perPage = 50;
Would probably help too.

It was working just fine. I had about 20% left to go but I think I killed it.

I was closing some extra windows that were open and closed the window where the mailer was running. I am guessing that killed the process. I bet there is not away to resume where it left off?

Top Bottom