Marketing idea to generate lots of free publicity and sales.

Ruven

The following idea may cost you a little money... or it may make you a ton more by providing an instant jump in brand awareness once the internet picks up on the idea.
Its a simple marketing strategy.

Any customer who can show proof of purchase of the vBulletin 4 software can then purchase XenForo 1.0 for the price of 1 dollar.

Or something that has a similar effect.
The idea being that if you paid money for vB4 and it was not what you thought i was going to be... XenForo will give you their software for free. Because XenForo 1.0 ended up being what a lot of us wanted vBulletin 4 to be.

Sure you lose money on perspective customers dissatisfied with vb4... but in reality a lot of vb4 customers will find it difficult to move away from something they just dropped nearly 300 dollars into. So you might not have gotten those customers anyway.
IMO Right now the biggest target audience for xF1 is vB3 users who wanted a modern version of the software, but not the broken software that vB4 ended up being. Thats xF1, and so you will get a ton of those customers.
This idea allows you to also get a lot of the vB4 users you might not have gotten, plus it creates a ton of goodwill for XenForo LTD, as well as a huge marketing opportunity.

I expect admin/forum centered websites to run with this story and give xF1 a huge amount of good publicity.

Sure its a stunt, sure some may see it as taking a cheap swipe at Internet Brands... but at the end of the day its the consumer who is going to determine if its a cheap stunt or a valuable resource for those who already spent their money.

Everybody calm down a bit, let's maintain some dignity and civility.

In answer to the suggestion, it would be nice if we could offer such a massive discount to people coming from another platform, but we simply can't. The people on this forum and our already not inconsiderable existing exposure are our brand awareness, and we shall fly or fall based upon that, backed up with the desirability and demonstrable quality of our product.

We will be offering some form of early-adopter discount, but I'm fairly sure that it's not going to be a licenses-for-a-dollar kind of arrangement.

I think xenforo needs a good financial start so anything but the full price shouldn't be offered.

Although it would be very difficult for me to raise the necessary funds to do so, I agree completely, Kier & Mike are going to need a big cash injection when the time comes for a release. I would like to see this platform succeed and I would not accept an early adoption offer, I know this would be damaging for Kier & Mike, so I would fully support them or not at all.

Most xF users will be people who buy because of prior knowledge of Kier/Mike/Jelsoft/vB, etc...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I had literally never heard of either of them until someone showed me this product, despite having spent the last 7 years as a professional skinner for IPB... I didn't hang around vB sites, nor Admin sites - not all of us are fanboys or girls at all!

I for one just love this product, and can see it fitting in nicely into it's own spot in the professional paid software market. Super quick, super slick, and the best UI ever for forum software.. yeah I think it's going to do very well thanks, I know dozens of folks including some pretty big sites who have no need for all the weight of both of the big boys in this market.

Apart from that point, I also disagree on just about all your points...

The only ones who appear to be "looking down on" anyone else are die hard fanboys of a certain other product... most people seriously don't think that way... I left that vB world in 2002 largely due to just such an arrogant attitude.. "ours is the best.. all the rest of you on inferior forum software are beneath us"... PFHFHFT to that and anyone who thinks like that. IPB came along and showed that to be the complete nonsense it always was.. and guess what there's a new kid in town set to do the exact same thing.

There is sufficient goodwill here to begin with, no need to be giving it away imho.

Just my two cents worth.

Selling a XenForo License for a dollar is a complete disservice to the developers and the license holders. Personally, I would lose a little respect for the software. If you want quality, you have to expect to pay for it. And keep in mind, when you shop for something, you are not just paying for the item, you are also paying for marketing, R&D, support and longevity to name a few. Kier's offer for an early adoption discount is more than fair.

yeap. i think it is pretty clear that they would have something for folks who are ready to join the mmm revolution at launch time. there is a clearly a mutual respect between the potential customer base and the developers. so things are looking good all around.

To be honest, because of WHO is developing this software, XenForo has less to worry about name recognition than a vast majority of new entires in the market. Just due to the name, people would notice. Maybe not quite so noticeable in the entire software world but talk "forum software", esp those who have looked at ALL forum software in the last 5-8 years, you will. 

So that type of marketing strategy would smack of desperation.

Going out as a released product with a possible "early adopters" especially to those of us who are already signed up on the forum, would be more than fair.  

Liz 

To be honest, because of WHO is developing this software, XenForo has less to worry about name recognition than a vast majority of new entires in the market. Just due to the name, people would notice. Maybe not quite so noticeable in the entire software world but talk "forum software", esp those who have looked at ALL forum software in the last 5-8 years, you will.

Whilst I completely agree with you Liz, for many many people the names of the Devs will be reassuring , especially those who were regular visitors of the vB forums...

But I have to say, merely looking at *all* software or even owning a license, doesn't guarantee you will know the names of the developers, I purchased a vB license about 3 years ago, again and I didn't spend any time on their forums, nor investigating who they are, it didn't matter to me, I knew it was a sound product (as it was back then) and that is all I needed to know.

I would have no idea of the names of the developers of Word press.. or PHPBB or in fact any of the software I use on a daily basis, but I would still purchase them (if they offered pro versions and if they fit my needs perfectly) regardless of not knowing who wrote it.

Since being here I have interacted with Kier and Mike and they seem like very nice chaps, but that is NOT what I base my purchasing decisions on :) I will be buying because this software is superb, and will exactly fit the bill for a future project I have!

Holier-than-thou about what? Giving away a product for free, to people who bought flawed software of their own free will - nobody was putting a gun to their head?

"And we know that those with online businesses who depend on their forum as a revenue stream will not be switching to a startup company run by a couple of dudes... no matter how talented the dudes are."

The license costs the same whether you're a big online business or a hobbyist, so why target the big business forums particularly? For the free advertising? Aren't they usually the first to go for the branding-free option?

A lot of these 'marketing strategies' are just plain self-serving. If you're running a gigantic forum that rakes in big bucks every month, then you can afford to buy a license. "Cash for clunkers" wasn't a program for people who wanted to trade their Cadillac for a Rolls-Royce, it was for people to trade their ancient junk car for a new Toyota.

Alright, dont get offended.
It was just an idea, i thought it would be something that created a buzz around xF, nothing more.
Im probably assuming too much by thinking that maybe Kier and Mike do not have extensive marketing budgets and might want a way to draw attention to xF other than simply organic word of mouth.
Its not self serving in the least. I dont need a free anything.
Ive not asked for any early adopter discount or anything like that.
Early adopter discounts are not marketing strategies because early adopters are going to buy things they like and buy them right away... its in their nature. They do not need a discount.
I was talking about enticing those who would not otherwise be likely to leave vB due to recently purchasing the software... but maybe would try xF if not for that.
I do understand the need to not devalue ones own brand though.
And selling xF for a dollar or giving it away in any fashion may result in a cheapening of the brand.

BTW... vB4 may not be old, but its no Cadillac ;)

I would have no idea of the names of the developers of Word press.. or PHPBB or in fact any of the software I use on a daily basis, but I would still purchase them (if they offered pro versions and if they fit my needs perfectly) regardless of not knowing who wrote it.

Since being here I have interacted with Kier and Mike and they seem like very nice chaps, but that is NOT what I base my purchasing decisions on :) I will be buying because this software is superb, and will exactly fit the bill for a future project I have!

I also have a WP blog and have had phpBB, have had SMF (and know a major player there), even had a IPB license once and sold it. But never got to know any of the people in the forums like I did the vb people. Something about the IPB forums just never made me feel as comfortable as the vb forums did. But until I came here, I never really interacted with Kier and Mike. I did with Floris. But I saw what they did. I went thru an entire beta release they developed. I was familiar with them and their work so like everyone else, I knew IB had shot themselves in the foot the day they left. But then we wouldn't have XF. 

So yeah, for many out there, name recognition is enough. :)  

Something about the IPB forums just never made me feel as comfortable as the vb forums did.

It's funny how we either like or don't like a forum.. I have only 545 posts on my IPB account LOL it is a very dry place these days, Terrific for support questions, wonderful if you are a coder (which I ain't) and want to talk serious serious coding stuff, but not much in the way of fun or friendly conversation I have to admit. It used to be a lot more fun back when they first started.

I spent the first few years of my forum adventures on vB forums and didn't much care for the interactions on either .com or .org way back then, so never went back, I am sure it did change, as a lot of you folks seem like fun.

Whilst I completely agree with you Liz, for many many people the names of the Devs will be reassuring , especially those who were regular visitors of the vB forums...

But I have to say, merely looking at *all* software or even owning a license, doesn't guarantee you will know the names of the developers, I purchased a vB license about 3 years ago, again and I didn't spend any time on their forums, nor investigating who they are, it didn't matter to me, I knew it was a sound product (as it was back then) and that is all I needed to know.

Exactly. I dont really know or care about the names of the people building my software.
All i care about is good software. And that usually has more to do with a company that has a good track record over who they employ.
Unfortunately a company with a good track record (Jelsoft) was taken over by a company that had no track record in forum software building. Most of us gave them the benefit of the doubt, but they failed us.
That is the only reason why i started to look around at the names of the old vB team... to see if they were working on anything new themselves.
In essence im still not here because of Kier or Mike. Im here because of vBulletin and Jelsoft, a product and a company that i trusted.
Kier/Mike and XF just happen to equal Jelsoft and vB in my mind right now.
Almost as if Internet Brands and vBulletin4 are the new company and XF is really the successor to vB3.

I guess the term would be spiritual successor.

Selling a XenForo License for a dollar is a complete disservice to the developers and the license holders. Personally, I would lose a little respect for the software. If you want quality, you have to expect to pay for it. And keep in mind, when you shop for something, you are not just paying for the item, you are also paying for marketing, R&D, support and longevity to name a few. Kier's offer for an early adoption discount is more than fair.
Lets not get all that philosophical about this. Its a business transaction for petes sake.
I expect to pay for it.
But product giveaways are nothing new to build up mass support for a new product.
Maybe ive been watching too much Mad Men.

Exactly. I dont really know or care about the names of the people building my software.
All i care about is good software.

And on that we can agree
beerchug.gif

Whatever brought you here is OK... Think of it as the gentle breeze of fate.... or the Semi wreck of fate... but whatever, you're here now, and before you know it you will be a die hard addict like the rest of us
shifty.gif

You can check out any time you like... but you can never leeeeeeeeeeeeave - god dang showing my age now
roflmao.gif

But product giveaways are nothing new to build up mass support for a new product.

Didn't mean, or intend, to get philosophical. However, I have never seen any new company ever give away their most sought after item for free. Maybe we could get some refrigerator magnets that say XenForo. (Joke, not being mean)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I had literally never heard of either of them until someone showed me this product, despite having spent the last 7 years as a professional skinner for IPB... I didn't hang around vB sites, nor Admin sites - not all of us are fanboys or girls at all!

I for one just love this product, and can see it fitting in nicely into it's own spot in the professional paid software market. Super quick, super slick, and the best UI ever for forum software.. yeah I think it's going to do very well thanks, I know dozens of folks including some pretty big sites who have no need for all the weight of both of the big boys in this market.

Apart from that point, I also disagree on just about all your points...

The only ones who appear to be "looking down on" anyone else are die hard fanboys of a certain other product... most people seriously don't think that way... I left that vB world in 2002 largely due to just such an arrogant attitude.. "ours is the best.. all the rest of you on inferior forum software are beneath us"... PFHFHFT to that and anyone who thinks like that. IPB came along and showed that to be the complete nonsense it always was.. and guess what there's a new kid in town set to do the exact same thing.

There is sufficient goodwill here to begin with, no need to be giving it away imho.

Just my two cents worth.
I only know who Kier is because of what went down with vB.
If he was still a developer at vB and Jelsoft hadnt been purchased by a corporation that then went about making changes to staff... i would have no idea who Kier was.
Looking back on things... i blame Kier for me being an early adopter of vB4
I really liked my vB3 forum, and i should have kept it... i regret the switch as its been headache after headache.
So much so that ive been burnt out on the whole thing, ive been letting my mods do most of the upkeep lately. Practically took the whole summer off... hence why XenForo had gone under my radar.
I was initially iffy on vB4, but then Kiers blog ejaculated all sorts of orgasmic goodness onto my screen.
I was hooked right away... i wanted vB4.

But unfortunately when it came out there was no trace of those awesome screen shots that Kier had posted.
forumbits.png

postbit.png
forum-info-options.png
inlinemod-hilite.png
threadbits.png

Where was all this goodness?
Thats when i really started to notice the name Kier.
I was like... "man this Kier guy had a great skin, it was so awesome that they didnt have time to finish it... but im sure it will be released in the first update" ... boy was i wrong.

The silver lining to the story... whats in Kiers blog over at vB.com looks to be exactly what XenForo is. And thats enough for me to buy probably switch to XenForo on day 1.

Now im serious... anybody want to buy a vB4 suite package? :D
Cuz im ready to go.

not exactly the same thing but... http://insights.gravity.com/ gave all beta testers life time free access to their analytic service when they launched in public. i beta tested a flickr app named bulkr http://clipyourphotos.com/bulkr . free license on its launch.

i am not making a comparison. just some examples.

whoa. i had no idea about how vb4 development took place.

i was running vb3. and one find day heard that vb4 is launched. i had to make a quick decision. pay lower price now and get vb4. or wait and pay a higher price.

since i had no alternative and i prefer to stick to the latest version of all web apps i use... i took the plunge. and well. got the same shock and awe treatment.

Top Bottom