Implemented Mark All Read

Morgain

I would like a Mark All Read button top and bottom ogf page, on

the top node list view
What's New
Recent Messages
etc

anywhere I look at a list of forums or threads
because once Ive checked what I want to read I want the rest to go in the background.
(Roll on tickboxes to Hide threads too)

Mark All Read means next time I check I get a truer picture of what is new for me.
as it is What's New or any list shows me loads of stuff which is Unread but to me just clutter.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This makes no sense to me... There is a mark forums read in the top navigation and when you read a topic it is read up to the page you view. Everything you want is in by default, and really in all forums by default (without some of the nice touches XenForo does).

This makes no sense to me... There is a mark forums read in the top navigation and when you read a topic it is read up to the page you view. Everything you want is in by default, and really in all forums by default (without some of the nice touches XenForo does).

I'm not talking about the ones I read. I'm talking about all the others I don't read and don't want to.
So they keep coming up on the Whats New and other pages as Unread because of posts days ago I didn't read. From my point of view this is clutter. It would be great to have a tickbox to Hide threads I'm not interested in as requested elsewhere) but also Mark as Read does mean when I view again I get a true picture of What's New/ Recent Messages etc

There's no Mark All as Read on What's New/ Recent Messages/ or a forum list.

There's no Mark All as Read on What's New/ Recent Messages/ or a forum list.
There doesn't need to be; once you have marked everything read, What's New will be empty. The same applies to the forum list page.

Recent Activity is completely different - it is an activity stream and marking items read doesn't remove them from it.

Oh I see. Well calling it that would be confusing. Maybe an ignore option on a post? Have it still in the node list but not in other areas, like you want. Good idea and would really help, I rarely use what's new here because there is just so much stuff I don't want to see/read. +1.

There doesn't need to be; once you have marked everything read, What's New will be empty. The same applies to the forum list page.

Brogan that's exactly what this thread is about. There is no way to mark the threads Read on the What's New page without opening them one by one
Nor on any other threads view page.

Recent Activity is completely different - it is an activity stream and marking items read doesn't remove them from it.

That's where a Hide tickbox would be useful then.
With an Unhide all, and a Return to Hide.
If I click a link to this thread in a post it behaves normally and if I Reply to it it becomes Watched as usual.

Basically when handling a flood of content - which XF is excellent at generating - we need to be able to triage - select what suits us and discard /Hide the rest.

Oh I see. Well calling it that would be confusing. Maybe an ignore option on a post? Have it still in the node list but not in other areas, like you want. Good idea and would really help, I rarely use what's new here because there is just so much stuff I don't want to see/read. +1.

Yes it's been suggested Robbo as above, and would be VERY helpful.
I use Whats New a lot but I am getting very sick of the clutter (relative to me).

If this suggestion is just about removing content from What's New (i.e. ignoring forums, etc.) , then that has already been suggested.

So shall I mark it as a duplicate to avoid discussion being split across two threads?

Well this thread is about Mark All Read not being available on What;s New and other thread lists.
Obviously there is refernce to the Ignore feature also requested. Bith are addressuing the same problem in different ways.
So no I think it's enough that the Ignore is mentioned here to show that the two things are in request.

Mark Forums Read already does exactly what you want it to do, either by marking all forums read, or individual forums read.

Doing either one of those will remove all or selected posts from What's New.

I'm really struggling to understand what additional functionality it is you're asking for as far as marking posts read is concerned, or with regards to being able to selectively ignore content, which has already been suggested.

I'm really struggling to see the problem Brogan. I've already said there is no Mark All Read on What's New or on any other page with lists of threads. I have not mentioned anything at individual post level, only threads.

You just mentioned "Mark Forums Read" - where is this on Whats New? or on any forum display of its threads?
Ive looked top and bottom of page.

The Mark Forums Read link is on the What's New page - in the same place it always is.

Thank you Brogan. Obviously this is the root of the issue here that I never noticed that control was there. I've thought before that the colouring on the classic XF secondary bar is pretty but not efficient. When not highlighted there is not enough contrast to make its components noticeable. This is a case in point.

I think saying it is in the same place it always is doesn't tell me anything useful. If it had actually changed position that would be useful to tell me - to reassure me why I missed it. But saying it is the same as always tends to imply I'm stupid for not seeing it. Yet I'm not stupid; very far from it. I'm just not nearly as familiar as you are with all the many control routes in XF. Which is why you're one of the mighty heroes of XF who is widely respected and admired and valued, while I'm just another admin user. Who probably gets irritating because there are so many things I don't see which are obvious to you. I sympathise: I find support work in my own zone of expertise is similarly wearing. What you do is so valuable to so many.

I'm not quite sure what that response is meant to convey.

Naturally I would assume most people who have been using the software for a decent period of time would be aware of the various links on the main navigation bar and their functions.

Robbo even mentioned it in the second post:
There is a mark forums read in the top navigation

My post above was simply to highlight the link to make it clear where it was.

So having said all that, is this still a suggestion, or is your issue resolved?

I'm not quite sure what that response is meant to convey.
Naturally I would assume most people who have been using the software for a decent period of time would be aware of the various links on the main navigation bar and their functions.

Well I don't think we can assume that though it's understandable that we tend to.
Things that are really obvious to you and me in what we are familar with, are not obvious to others with less acquaintance of the context.

So let's say you are Expert in XF= immersed in familarity.
Another level is Veteran in XF=- widely familiarised.
Next is Experienced like me = strong familiarity but patchy.
Becoming Familiar = can do basics, some familiarity.
Newcomer = bewildered by complexity but reassured by a few first steps being intuitive.

It doesn't matter where you are on the hierarchy there will be places you don't know yet, or have overlooked.
For example as I explained here the colour contrast on the secondary navbar makes it unreadable unless I peer at it closely or highlight it. I've just discovered the Search link there because of this thread and your pointer!
Also I have a memory of a Mark All Read or something like that as a button at the top standing independently. On another software I suppose. So I expected it to be like that and never occurred to me to locate it on a navbar.

It's something I find with my students. Never ceases to amaze me how people can interpret data differently however careful and skilled we are. If it's possible to look at it differently/ not see it - someone will do that!
Support is so much about that huge range of responses.

Top Bottom