XF 1.3 Managing SPAM!?!?

Okenyon

Hey guys, i've altered my SPAM settings several times and it's improved SPAM sign ups but I get around 3-4 a day at a certain hour posting stupid threads with links ect.

Here's my current settings,

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 13.26.43.webp

I'm NOT good with this stuff so i'd really like to know how I can adjust or make additions to cut this horrid SPAM out for good please?

Please be detailed in your replies and thanks in advance.

Also is there an easy way without promotions to stop new members posting links?

i'd really like to know how I can adjust or make additions to cut this horrid SPAM out for good please?
The short answer is it's impossible to prevent spam.
The majority of spam which makes it through these days is by human spammers and they are capable of bypassing any systems you put in place.

All you can do is attempt to mitigate it by adjusting the settings, adding spam phrases, etc.

The short answer is it's impossible to prevent spam.
The majority of spam which makes it through these days is by human spammers and they are capable of bypassing any systems you put in place.

All you can do is attempt to mitigate it by adjusting the settings, adding spam phrases, etc.
Thanks man, these are 100% bots getting through right now.

Where do I add phrases? I should add repeating words they post yes like "skin care" "diet" etc?

Also is there an easy way without promotions to stop new members posting links?

If you're sure they're bots, you should upgrade to 1.4 then as there are specific changes for bots. Don't be so sure though -- you'll probably find IPs in India/Pakistan.

You can add to the spam phrases in the Spam Management options.

If your are getting the same spam links over and over again, do what Borgan said and add the phrases. Go to home, Options, Spam management and then Spam Phrases and add what they are posting there. Normally it is for a product and the name is listed in the spam message. Put that in the Spam Management list. I have 38 listed in mine so far. It makes a big difference.

James

Not 100%. The human ones can still get in. But I find they spam a few products. So ones those products are added in you should be find for a few days. Then they will come in with other products. Enter those in and ban the spammers.

I don't have to add new ones as often right now with my current list. I just checked my spam trigger log and it looks like once or twice a week some get in past the filters. But then they get stopped by the spam phrases. Five were stopped last week alone. Two one day and three another.

James

Spam is only checked based on the "Maximum Messages to Check for Spam" option above. Did that apply to the user? Otherwise, I do believe that should have applied (based on the "silver bullion coins" part).

Top Bottom