Managing Old Threads

Brad L

For those with aging forums, how do you handle old inactive threads? Any related advice?
I see three options:
1. Do nothing.
2. Close threads that have been inactive for X days and keep them in place.
3. Close threads that have been inactive for X days and move them to an archive forum.

I'm considering #2 at 1-2 years.

Nothing. Old bumps don't really happen to us, but if they do, I just close the thread after it's inevitably reported. Sometimes bumping old threads can be really beneficial, and stops duplicate threads, so that's why doing 2/3 sometimes isn't the right thing.

Sometimes bumping old threads can be really beneficial, and stops duplicate threads, so that's why doing 2/3 sometimes isn't the right thing.
I agree. If someone made a thread about The Beatles, and it hadn't been posted in for two years, should it really be closed? What if someone wants to discuss The Beatles now? Most forums will ask you to search before posting a thread to make sure one doesn't already exist... just because the thread is old doesn't mean no one will want to discuss it ever again.

The way I look at it, it doesn't hurt to have old threads left open & in their proper section. If something is unnecessarily necro'd that can be easily dealt with.

Top Bottom