Managing add-on installations and their files

Joe Link

I have a folder where I keep all of the add-on zip files, in case I need them in the future. When I uninstall an add-on, I move it to an archived folder.

My question is, once the XML is uninstalled through the Admin CP, is there any issue with looking at the files in the upload directory of the original zip, then deleting those files from the server? I'd like to do this in order to keep things clean, but I wanted to check to see if there are any possible downsides first.

If you uninstall an add-on, any associated files should be manually deleted from the server.

Should be as in, I should delete them, or should be, as in the uninstall process from the Admin CP should delete them? If the latter, is this new in 1.4? I'm using 1.3.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Manually is the operative word.
Add-on uninstall routines do not automatically delete files from the server.

You need to do it.

My server is loaded with those old junk files but it is what it is at this point.. Years worth of various plugins coming and going.. I once tried to manage the files in my server the way mentioned in the OP but it was painful for a guy with A.D.D But now my OCD tingles like spidey sense whenever i think about all those useless files just taking up space it kills me.

You could just run a comparison between the server directories and a clean install with the add-ons you are currently using.
Then delete any which are superfluous.

The other way would be to unzip the XenForo package you are using to your PC, add the add-on files, delete the files from the server (taking a backup of config.php and install-lock.php and making sure not to delete the data and internal_date directories), then upload the files from your PC and replace config.php and install-lock.php.

Top Bottom