1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Manage users watching forums

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by otfordnet, Apr 28, 2015.

1. otfordnet

otfordnet Member

Is there a way through Admin, or as a forum moderator, to see and control (Add / Delete) the list of users who are watching a forum?
    I appreciate the normal use of a forum is for the user to watch / un-watch a forum themselves, but for, say, a forum node that represents a club / society it could be a useful way to manage communication using the forum facilities.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There isn't a built in way to manage what forums someone watches (other than by them doing it themselves).
  3. otfordnet

otfordnet Member

Thanks Mike, as an alternative can you 'act as user' if you are the forum admin to watch / un-watch forum on their behalf or possibly consider for future enhancement?
  4. otfordnet

otfordnet Member

5. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

6. otfordnet

otfordnet Member

I did see that one, thanks, but the use is likely to be for a sub-set of the forum membership rather than apply across the board to all members.
  7. Digital Doctor

Message them all and tell them to subscribe :)\
    How many people ?
  8. Digital Doctor

I certainly think an admin should be able to sign up members to watch a thread.
    Probably should be an addon.
  9. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

10. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Would the below SQL be correct to add forum watch for all users in a user group?

insert into xf_forum_watch (user_id, node_id, send_alert)
    select user_id, <aa>, 1
    from xf_user_group_relation g
    left join xf_forum_watch w on w.user_id = w.user_id and w.node_id = g.user_group_id
    where user_group_id = <bb>
    and w.user_id is null
    <aa> = forum id (to watch)
    <bb> = user group id
    the left join stopping from clash/error if the user is already watching the forum.